Trouble adding a Yale YRD216

Hoping someone can help out here. I’m having trouble including a Yale YRD216 on my Qolsys IQ2 panel. It adds and then throws up this warning, “Device successfully included using Z-Wave S0 security. Please note: If this device supports Z-Wave S2 security, the S2 encryption process may have failed. Please exclude the device and begin the include process again”.

It works shortly after this message pops up. I can lock and unlock the bolt from the panel. I then pull the batteries, install the lock on the door, and the panel says the device has malfunctioned. I’ve been pairing the device near the panel, but not on the door per the instructions.

Have you run a Network Rediscovery after installing the lock in its final location on the door? This would be necessary if the panel can no longer directly reach it and needs repeaters to do so. (It should always be the last step in installing a Z-wave device to ensure the routes to the device are mapped)

On the IQ Panel 2+:

Settings > Advanced Settings > System Tests > Z-wave Tests > Rediscover Network.

I have run a network rediscovery, but it keeps failing for the lock. There’s another z-wave device about 20 feet away from it (a light switch), and that device has no problems getting to the network. I’ll keep plugging away at it. Just wondering if you’ve seen that error message previously.

Do you have a 2nd gen Z-wave module in the Yale lock? That message would be normal if the device does not support S2.

There are some Z-wave improvements coming out in the next Qolsys firmware.

According to this page (https://us.yalehome.com/en/products/yale-assure-lock-and-levers/assure-lock/smart/) the module is Z-Wave Plus. Hoping that the next Qolsys firmware does help out. I also might try adding a lightbulb halfway to see if that helps.

Since the lock otherwise seems to be added successfully, just to verify, since you are seeing a malfunction right away each time, is that a brand new lock? Is it handed properly for the door? The lock has a handing procedure which must be followed:

The lock will only repeat with a S2 compatible device. I had a bunch of Leviton smart dimmers, as well as an Illumin light bulb, but none of them worked. Once I added a S2-capable repeater (Aeotec 7), the lock could reach the panel and work again. Just FYI for anyone else who runs into similar issues.

Ah, that’s an interesting find. Thank you for following up!

That is likely going to be an issue more people will start to encounter.