Tilt Sensor Instructions

I bought a garage door tilt detector from your website, but the device came with no install instructions. Do you have any I can use?

To install the sensor just clean off a spot near the top of your garage door on the inside and stick the sensor up with the double sided tape. It should be vertical with the decorative lines at the bottom, as in the attached picture.

Also, when programming the sensor into the 2GIG Panel, make sure the sensor is programmed in as Loop 2. This will allow the sensor to read as open when it is in a horizontal position and closed when it is vertical.

Garage-Sensor.jpg

In addition to programming the sensor as loop 2, we also recommend you program the sensor as “no response” type and not “entry/exit”.

Once the sensor is installed, to set up the garage door left open notification, log into Alarm.com and go to Notifications -> Notifications and add a New Notification. Choose “Sensor Left Open” as the notification type. Choose “Garage Door” is left open for more than 10 minutes (or however long you want) notify contacts (select your cell phone numbers to text).

What equipment code should be used?

I have installed a RE206 garage tilt sensor as described here and elsewhere I’m
N the internet, as it came without any instructions or even a box. I ignored the programming step that asked for an equipment code. The panel successfully learn in the sensor. I used loop 2 and it on 23–no response. It is installed now on the garage door as indicated. However, it does not trip when the garage door is opened. If the cover is removed, it does report a tamper. But it will not report the door going up at all. Status always shows as ok(idle). I am pretty much at the end of my rope on this. Any help would be appreciated. Did I mess up the programming or is this perhaps a defective sensor?

A couple questions:

Does the sensor chime on the panel when the door opens?

If you have a sensor programmed as no response type, it will only chime on the panel, but will not show as opened or closed.

Do you have activity monitoring turned on for this sensor?

In order to see the actual status of the door on Alarm.com for sensors programmed as no response type, you will need to turn on activity monitoring for that sensor. If activity monitoring is not activated, the sensor status will just show as OK unless it is malfunctioning.

Do you have the sensor programmed in as Motion or Contact?

It should be programmed in as a contact sensor.

The equipment code for the RE206 is 1061 on the 2GIG panel.

If you still need assistance installing /programming a resolution tilt sensor, see:
http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/120-Installing-Programming-Garage-Tilt-Sensor-(RE206)?p=263#post263

Interesting occurrence. Although I could not get it to trigger last night for anything. This morning it was set off by a rainstorm. The garage door did not go up and is out of the wind, but there was probably water splashing from a downspout.

Does not chime on the panel.

Activity monitoring is activated.

Set as motion. I will change this.

I will put in the equip code.

Thanks. I will report if this fixes the problem.

After making the changes to the programming as suggested above, I have the following results.

In the Status section of my alarm.com site, the garage sensor shows closed regardless of what position the garage door is in. No notifications have been received except for the false signal during the rainstorm this a.m.

However, in the History section, the garage sensor does show as having been tripped. See below.

9:58 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:51 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:48 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:37 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:34 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:31 am - Successful Mobile Login (XXXXXXXXXXXX)
9:31 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened/Closed
9:30 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Closed
9:28 am - Kitchen Motion Detector (Sensor 8) Idle
9:28 am - Garage (Sensor 10) Opened
9:28 am - Living Room Motion Detector (Sensor 3) Idle
9:27 am - Entrance Door (Sensor 1) Opened/Closed

Again, during the time that the History was showing a trigger to the tilt sensor, the status screen stayed at closed without change.

Subsequent to the this test, I have discovered that the sensor activity notification had somehow become unchecked for the garage sensor. However, activity monitoring was still checked. I do not know when or how this happened, but I presume it happened after the false signal during the rain and that it is the reason I have received no notifications since. I do not know whether this would have any effect on the status showing continually closed. I cannot check whether notifications are working until this evening.

"After making the changes to the programming as suggested above, I have the following results.

In the Status section of my alarm.com site, the garage sensor shows closed regardless of what position the garage door is in"

Then you programmed or installed it wrong.

Check to make sure that the sensor is mounted in the correct orientation on the door. There is an image posted above with how the sensor should be oriented.

Also, Alarm.com updates the status of sensors every 3 minutes for contact sensors. If the door opens and closes within the same minute, which is what your event history largely indicates, then chances are very good that alarm.com was never able to register the door being open before it was closed again.

Loop 2 installation: vertical position normal, tilt 45° alarm/activation (image indicates alarm/activation of sensor).

It is mounted correctly. It is a bit hard to get the programming right the first time, when there are no programming instructions included or available. The three minute issue makes sense. I doubt I ever waiting three minutes when I was testing it.

An installation/programming walkthrough link was posted above by me 5 hours ago (post #4854)…this is for programming the sensor as a normal door entry/exit delay

That was quite helpful, and I followed it in editing my original programming, since I first programmed and installed the sensor before that post was put up. Thank you very much for making it available, though. It is a great help. My only deviation was in making it a no response sensor instead of an entry sensor.

Just a follow up. The tilt sensor is now working correctly. Thank you.

How can I get this to work with GC3 and Ecolink Z-Wave tilt sensor? I can include into the Z-wave network, but don’t know what to do with it.

Adding as wireless zone method doesn’t seem to work as the serial is not picked up.

I just want know if I left my garage open on accident.

How can I get this to work with GC3 and Ecolink Z-Wave tilt sensor?

This is not possible, unfortunately.

Z-wave sensors in general are not compatible with the GC3. This is true of all Alarm.com compatible alarm panels. They do not use Z-wave for alarm triggers. Some good compatible options to monitor the status of your garage door are discussed here.

A similar post can be found here.

I have the 2gig tilt sensor on two different garages (different properties). One has a very solid wooden (quite old) garage door and one has a newer, modern metal door. I have the wooden garage door set up as an entry alarm point and have had no trouble at all. I have the metal garage door set up as a non-reporting sensor, as it does sometimes produce false alarms, but I still get a text and E-mail alert when it trips. I also use the Linear Z-Wave Garage Door Controller. It works great. I am using a GC3. I am not sure that helps you.

I am curious why you recommend no response as an option. If I am not home and my garage gets broken into, I would want it to set off an alarm to central monitoring station. If in a no response for programming , wouldn’t this only really be for my personal knowing if garage is open or not