Thoughts on PG9924 PowerG curtain motion detector?

Looking to add some protection to a second story room with easily accessible windows due to the fact that the windows overlook the roof a covered porch directly below. I added windows contacts and a glass break, but I’m considering a curtain motion detector as well. A standard motion wouldnt work since it would essentially make the room inaccessible when armed away (and we arm away at night with motion on the first floor but freely move about the second floor). The room is used very very little, but at some point someone will eventually walk in and set off a standard motion.
I thought perhaps a curtain motion would work if we aimed the beam parallel to the windows. Then at least could at least enter the room as long as we didnt approach the windows.
Would heat from the windows (they face west) set off a curtain motion? Any other ideas on how to secure the room and still keep it at least semi usable? I have a healthy distrust for glassbreaks (maybe this is unfounded?).
thanks for input.
PS im specifically looking at the DSC PG9924. I do not know if the beam specifications can be modified with the Qolsis IQ2+ panel, despite their info sheet stating no limitations.

I haven’t used the PG9924 yet, but it looks cool! I sent a message to Qolsys to see if we can confirm what, if any, parameters can be adjusted. I don’t think you would have problems with heat from the windows.

Any other ideas on how to secure the room and still keep it at least semi usable? I have a healthy distrust for glassbreaks (maybe this is unfounded?).

Glass break detectors on the whole shouldn’t be disregarded. I think the main trouble comes from the fact that some older glass break models (and cheaper wired ones) are known for false alarms from innocuous sources. A good glass break detector offers true perimeter alarm monitoring for blunt entry into windows.

A motion detector requires the intruder to already be moving around in the home. A glass break sets off an alarm prior to entry.

Glass break detectors listening for the sound of breaking glass are great to cover multiple windows at a time.

As an alternative I am personally a big fan of shock sensors, which, depending on the sensor, go on the frame or glass and provide perimeter detection of forced entry without the false alarm risks of sound-based detectors.

We have commonly used 5150Ws connected to a wireless door/window sensor with a wired input option, like the S-Line Extended Door/Window.

Thanks for the info about the shock sensors. I’ll take a look at the product you referenced.
Our last home had a SimonXT panel with GE Interlogix 60-886-11-95 wireless shock sensors and they were notorious for false alarms. So much that we removed them. Maybe the wired version is more reliable.

The 5150 wired are pretty inexpensive.
Do you know if there is a PowerG door contact that would accept the wired input for the 5150?

Thanks for reaching out to Qolsys. I’ll plan on setting up the curtain motion and let you know how they work out.

Also good to know about glass breaks, I went with the PowerG glassbreak and so far so good.

Wireless shock sensors, especially those mounted to the frame and doubling as an open close sensor, are more false alarm prone generally in my experience.

The PG9945 has a wired aux input.

I think I’ll give the PG9945 with the wired 5150 a try. Do you know if the 5150 sensor will show up in the IQ + panel as a separate sensor?

Circling back to the curtain PIR-- it worked out great for my application. In the IQ panel you can adjust sensitivity (low medium high) which works great. It actually ships with a wall bracket that allows you to adjust the beam 5 or 10 degrees so your curtain covers where you need it. It’s a great way to have a motion sensor in a room but still we able to actually use the room. In my case you need to get right up to the window casing to trigger the sensor.

Currently you would need to choose one or the other input for the PG9945. The same Senor ID cannot be learned in twice.

Circling back to the curtain PIR-- it worked out great for my application.

It looked like a good option. Thanks for following up with this. It definitely provides good targeted coverage.

I’ve been looking more into the 5150+aux contact sensor.
Is the 5150 a shock sensor or glass break? Even the Interlogix information seems to contradict itself. So the glass needs to break to bend to peizo to generate the power to generate an alarm, but the testing proedure is to tap a screwdriver handle on the glass?

The 5150 is a shock sensor that detects glass breaking. Its’ not a sound detector that can work across the room like we usually mean when we call a sensor a glass break detector.

I don’t understand the internal mechanics of it but I have tested them with a screwdriver handle and it works.

I guess my concern is the testing procedure is a tap with a screwdriver. I currently have acoustic glass breaks but thought the shock sensor might be less prone to false alarms.
Do you know if there is a sensitivity setting available? I’m looking to connect it to the powerG contact sensor with aux input Ina Qolsys IQ2 panel.

They don’t have sensitivity settings but they work with most normal glass. The data sheet lists the supported glass types. They are less prone to false alarms unless someone is knocking on the glass.