Thoughts on icontrol One?

Surety DIY Folks:

What do you think of the icontrol One? I’m looking for an alternative to Qolsys, SimonXT, and ADC. I notice that monitoring is available from COPS - I have no experience with them, but what I read about them is encouraging.

The pictures of the icontrol One UI look impressive. It has 3G, Z-Wave, and WiFi. They say that it uses a MiFi radio, made by Novatel, that combines the Cell, Z-Wave, and WiFi functions into one radio (vs. standalone radios). For those who want video, full HD with 15fps is supposedly supported.

I don’t know much about icontrol. I talked with an acquaintance who is a professional installer, and he says he really likes the icontrol stuff.

So - what do you guys think?

Thanks,
T

What do you think of the icontrol One? I’m looking for an alternative to Qolsys, SimonXT, and ADC. I notice that monitoring is available from COPS – I have no experience with them, but what I read about them is encouraging.

Obsolete Junk. With a primitive (and most likely very expensive) backend service. It’s “new” capabilities are yesterdays tech, and brings nothing new to the table. it is not an alternative to Qolsys, 2GIG, or alarm.com. Not even in the same league. it is not cutting edge.

If you have a system already that already uses at least a 3G radio, has zwave capability, etc, then the icontrol system is an effective downgrade.

The only value is if you have a truly old crappy useless system (i.e., obsolete) that doesn’t offer zwave, and has a non-upgradable 2G cellular radio. It is marketed for “old home” security systems.

it the equivalent of a cable company trying to sell you a digital receiver for your old analog black and white tv set.

"If you’re a longtime customer of an independent home-security firm, there’s a good chance your system’s control panel will soon need a major upgrade. That’s because companies such as AT&T, Verizon, and others are gradually shutting down their 2G cellular networks to make room for faster and more efficient 3G and 4G networks.

Most home-security systems rely on cellular networks because burglars can easily disable a wired land line, severing the connection between your home and the central monitoring office and rendering the service useless. When all the 2G networks go away, the security systems depending on them will be rendered equally useless for much the same reason.

So today, IControl Networks announced the IControl One, a plug-in module and service package that will enable these smaller service providers to not only upgrade their existing control panels to work with 3G cellular networks, but also add Z-Wave and Wi-Fi capabilities so they can offer their customers connected-home and video-camera features in addition to straightforward home security.

IControl won’t manufacture the modules; rather, they’ll bundle the hardware with the same type of SaaS (Software as a Service) offering that IControl already sells to such major service providers as ADT, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable. “We’ve been catering to tier-one companies,” IControl marketing VP Greg Roberts told me in an interview last week. “Now we’ll be able to provide the software platform that will enable independent dealers to expand their offerings to include home control as well as home security.” IControl’s services are also available to DIYers via the Peq system and IControl’s own Piper and Piper NV hardware."

1. it is not a system itself, but a platform for use with other existing and compatible systems (ADT Pulse, and Xfinity Home)
Open platform is compatible with the majority of security panels on the market today

1. it is basically promoted as an upgrade from 2G to 3G with zwave capability (which everyone now already offers)
[icontrol] solution’s radio upgrade module (which includes both Z-wave and 3G capabilities) allows dealers to upgrade customers from 2G to 3G – all for less cost than a traditional standalone radio

looking for an alternative to Qolsys, SimonXT, and ADC

I am gonna tell you your mistake. If you are in the market for something that “just works” you NEVER EVER become an early adopter of a new product, as you will be exposed to the problems, risks, and annoyances common to early-stage product testing and deployment. Expect bugs, expect thing to not work right, etc.

Unless you are willing to accept this, and deal with it, you should wait at least a year or two after a product releases before you get it.

That is the mistake you made with Qolsys, and that is the mistake many are gonna make with the GC3.

As far as ADC goes, they are light years beyond any other backend service that currently is out there, and when a user that has experienced full ADC access goes to another “less feature rich” backend, they will be very disappointed.

My suggestion to you is to go with the GC2 w/ 3G cell module and ADC backend (as opposed to optional Uplink and Telguard supported backends). Get the broadband Go!Bridge, and upgrade the 3G cell next year when the 4G LTE cell module comes out.

Any panel with a cellular backend that cannot be user upgraded from 3G should be avoided (e.g., Qolsys and iControl). Just like 2G, 3G is already being phased out/refarmed, and will be mostly gone within the next 4 years or so as carrier support (as least for Verizon) is ending.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

How do I close a forum topic? I.e. this one?

You don’t.

Forum topics are not closed, but you can manage your forum subscriptions at any time should you no longer want to be notified of follow ups.