Thin Window Contact set off alarm - Any insight?

We have a thin window contact.

I was traveling and it sent some notifications. It would say “low battery” at 10:55 AM then another notification that the alarm triggered at 10:55 as well

Then at 11:03 it reported a tamper

at 11:11 my wife returned home to a tripped alarm

at 11;19 it reported end of low battery it reported a “tamper” (no one touched it)

at 4:54 it reported a tamper

at 4:55 it reported end of tamper

at 6 PM or so we changed the battery.

I was having problems like this, but I bought a signal extender (the resolution products one for sale at Surety) and have had no problems until now.

No one was home when this sensor kept sending alerts. No problems since we changed batteries but its only been a day.

I tested the old batteries and they read between 3.1- 3.2V each

Any insight?

If it were me, and changing the batteries didn’t resolve the problem, I would replace the sensor.

I recently had a 4 1/2 year old DW10 trigger low battery, I replaced batteries batteries and the trouble cleared. It triggered a tamper when opened, and all troubles cleared shortly therafter.

If yours is triggering a low battery, then low battery cleared, then it alarmed, then tampered again, and continued to cycle through random supervisories and alarms, then something is probably wrong with it. That is not normal.

In general if you notice random alarm signals (not just supervisory alerts) from a sensor and the window/door was not opened then you will want to inspect the sensor.

Is the magnet positioned very close to the sensor, or is it installed near the edge of its magnetic gap? Is the sensor or sensor cover loose? Is the magnet loose?

Is the magnet aligned properly with the sensor ridges?

If all this checks out, you will want to replace the sensor.

In this case, it seems likely if many signals activate in sequence it would indicate a bad sensor. We do see the low battery alert occurred first simultaneously with the alarm signal. This has been noticed before when a sensor has had trouble communicating. Both signals register when an alarm occurs. The tamper switch is a small black switch found near the clasp. If the plastic clasp is broken or loose, it can cause intermittent tamper.

Given the type of sensor, and the description of various signals, it is likely best to quickly verify no physical issues, then replace.