Thermostats

How many thermostats can connect to the master controller and my service is thru suretydiy? I currently have 3 ct-30 thermostats, 1-main house which is already connected, 2-pool house (not connected) 3-dog kennel (not connected) and want to be able to access them via the mobile app. Can this be done? all of them have the z-wave module…

Yes, you could connect 3 thermostats, but depending on where the buildings are located on the property and distances, you may run into difficulties.

Z-wave does not have a very far range from panel to individual devices, and instead uses a mesh network, with AC powered Z-wave devices repeating signals along the way.

How far from the panel and nearest AC powered Z-wave device are the two additional T-stats?

about 150 feet.

and I am having problem trying to learn them into the system. Do you have a video?

150 feet will almost certainly be too far to function, unfortunately.

We do not have a video specifically for the CT30, but CT100 instruction is nearly identical I believe.

Were these CT30’s previously connected to different systems? Or were they never added to one?

Never added the other two devices because we did not have the modules until today. Is there any way to extend the signal?

To extend Z-wave signal you would use other AC powered Z-wave devices in between the two locations to bridge the distance. Plug in appliance modules, light switches, and dedicated repeaters are commonly used for this.

Do you have any locations in between where Z-wave devices might be wired or plugged in? Or is it open air outside between the panel and the tstats?

No other devices, so I guess I will have to buy a repeater to put between the devices to extend the signal to the pool house and dog kennel. Would this work? Aeon Labs DSD37-ZWUS Repeater, DSD37-ZWUS, by Aeotec, Cert ID: ZC08-13010004

That would depend again on distance and how many repeaters could be added.

Construction also plays a big role (metal soaks up RF signals very effectively, and brick heavily degrades the signal).

I typically recommend if within a home, no more than 25 feet between devices for best function. Open air extends that distance, so if it is mostly open between the two locations, that helps.

The aeon labs repeater was linked in the previous post. It’s a good choice for an indoor repeater. At what distances could you place one or more?

Well if I put a repeater in my sun room on the back of the house it would close the distance of 75 feet all open air from the sunroom to the dog kennel, as a matter of fact probably put two in the sunroom at each ends because the dog kennel is at one end and the pool house is at the other end.

If it is all open air, you might be able to swing the 75 feet. Similar success has been described in the past.

The aeon labs repeater would be the most cost effective option, and it simply plugs into an outlet. A Z-wave switch or appliance module would give you functionality at least, should the distance or construction prove more difficult.

I would advise perhaps placing a repeater in the destination spots as well, and make sure that the Thermostats are learned in while powered by AC (not just batteries). If only powered by batteries, they will operate in FLIRS mode, which limits their radio power.