The latest on SmartThings v2 and GC2 compatibility?

So my Z-Stick as primary controller decides to die a week ago right before I was about to re-add a Aeon energy monitor after the damn low battery f/w update (which that works now at least).

Figured it was time to upgrade my primary to something more long-term with local scene setup and settled on SmartThings v2 instead of VeraEdge. Of course it shows up the day before I realize to check the SuretyDIY forums … and of course see sparse comments about GC2 has secondary problems with the v2. Then Jason mentions hope for 1.14 f/w?

So 1.14 is here and release notes mention nothing related to SmartThings :frowning: With two little kids now I don’t have time to be a guinea pig tester here and reprogram everything to the GC2 panel as primary then back to v2 someday.

Should I just send this v2 back for refund while I still can within the week? Has anyone tried f/w 1.14 with the v2 yet? Does anyone even have a warm fuzzy 1.14 is worth my time to risk here? Or should I just go VeraEdge and some of its caveats? Any GC2 concerns with Vera lately?

Any GC2 concerns with Vera lately?

Well, we have not directly had a lot of reports regarding Vera Edge. Here is a thread going over some difficulties with some devices using an Edge primary.

We have no direct experience with Smartthings V2, and 1.14 does not specifically call out any sort of compatibility improvements (no firmware update really will regarding a non-partner’s equipment) although updates and tweaks often do get built in that improve function.

More Zwave functions were added in 1.14 firmware, so if someone tests this with V2 again, we would love to know how it goes as well.

I suppose that’s a good point that NSC isn’t going to document compatibility with somebody else’s primary :wink:

OK, guess I’ll keep the STv2, go hunt for my GC2 cable, and block off a few nights after the kids go to bed to play guinea pig. So obviously first have to update my GC2 then TS1 with f/w 1.14. And then when I get STv2 set up I will just add one simple WD500Z-1 switch before learning the GC2 as secondary and see what ADC picks up.

Now, so I do this as CLEANLY as possible after the 1.14 upgrade, what are your recommended steps to first cleanly removing the switch from the dead Z-Stick primary and then any interim GC2 Z-Wave steps before/after the learning to secondary mode of that one switch (ie, clearing all Z devices from GC2 first, a repair step somewhere, etc)? Obviously I’m not asking for the STv2 steps as I’ll make sure that works first, just obviously want recommended secondary practices from GC2 experts here (and I really need numbered bullets, plz :slight_smile:

Matter of fact, I suppose I can try this one switch add/learn BEFORE the 1.14 upgrade if you want to see if 1.14 actually fixes anything related. If it actually DOES work then 2nd device to add will be my Kwikset 910. If that fails to get to ADC then I’m done and this STv2 becomes a $99 paperweight :frowning:

Asking beforehand is always best, happy to help :slight_smile:

There is not a lot to do regarding the 2GIG, but:

1. From Home Screen on 2GIG: Services - Z-wave - Wrench Icon - Installer Code - Advanced Toolbox - Reset Controller.
  2. Perform a “Remove Device” function on the Switch. Doesn’t matter if you do this from 2GIG or STv2, but you may as well on STv2.
  3. Perform the “pair” function of the switch while the STv2 is looking for devices to remove.
  4. STv2 will indicate a device has been cleared from its network (not sure exactly what it says, but should be obvious)
  5. Learn Switch into the STv2
  6. Bring 2GIG and STv2 within a few feet of one another.
  7. Perform an Add Controller (or Add Device) on STv2
  8. On 2GIG: Services - Z-wave - Wrench Icon - Installer Code - Advanced Toolbox - Learn Controller
  9. Get a drink.
  10. Once the process indicates it is done (doesn’t take long, but good to wait a few minutes after) you can check to make sure the switch shows up on 2GIG.
  11. Run a cell test from 2GIG.
  12. Log into your Alarm.com account, access the Empower tab, check to see if the light shows up. There may be a bit of a delay here.

The 2GIG Panel should receive the list of devices (in this case, one test device) and the devices should be controllable.

Issues we have seen recently with some primary controllers is incomplete information being relayed to ADC. In other words, the primary does not share all pertinent details ADC is looking for from the devices, or shares it in a way 2GIG can’t translate.

OK, looks pretty straightforward from what I remember with the Z-Stick then (altho I forgot the cell test helps push the sync to you/ADC, so thx!). So if the one test switch already fails then do you want me to wait to see what you guys see before doing the 1.14 upgrade?

And for #9 - how stiff and how tall of a “drink” is suggested here? If this fails after the controller was also reset, I may need two make another at Step #20: Get another drink and then begrudgingly tell wife the “smart home” is messed up (again).

I have to admit I was quite shocked how well the Z-Stick primary worked for the past year or so now. Even the Kwikset 910 passed down to the GC2 with no problems! My only gripe with Z-Stick was having to keep the PC running. Not to mention the best s/w I could ever find was InControl and after several updates still found it rather unpolished and its rules cumbersome.

So if the one test switch already fails then do you want me to wait to see what you guys see before doing the 1.14 upgrade?

Yes, I would wait until we can run a manual equipment update just to be sure. It should auto-populate after a time, but best to be sure.

I have to admit I was quite shocked how well the Z-Stick primary worked for the past year or so now.

Set up with patience, Z-wave in general is extremely reliable home automation. However, having an always running PC is definitely rare these days.

Any luck with this? Let us know if you need an equipment update. Definitely interested in the results.

No bueno :frowning: Didn’t have much time Sun. to tinker so I added both the switch and the Kwikset to the STv2 and reset Zwave config on GC2. Everything learned perfectly, both switch and lock were operational from both STv2 and GCv2 > Service. Did a cell test and waited up to 12 hours but no switch or lock ever showed in ADC. So in case a secure device like the lock might be throwing things off, I removed that, reset GC2 Zwave again and relearned just the light switch as originally discussed. Still nothing on ADC 12 hours later now.

So you’ll see from your list there is now a “PC controller” (ID 2/6 on Node 1 much like I recall the ZStick), the switch, but there are TWO “Static controllers” and the one on node 4 is failed. I thought I recalled two statics showing up with my old Zstick that was never a problem for ADC but not sure. So did I screw up the 2nd learn and that 2nd static is the first GC2 ghost? Can you delete it from your end? Anything else you see?

And should I try upgrading to f/w 1.14 next (will be a few days before I can get to that)?

It does not appear that any devices are showing on the account on the back-end.

If you were able to access the lock and light from the Go!Control Panel it sounds like the process was successful. Unfortunately we are not seeing any devices populate when the equipment is manually requested.

If you would like to try upgrading to 1.14, then repeating the Z-wave process, we can then request another update to confirm.

Well, guess what. I did the 1.14 f/w upgrade (late) last night. Then reset all Zwave from the GC, force removed the secondary controller from STv2 GUI, relearned GC2 as secondary with both one dimmer switch and a KS910 lock, then after letting sit 5 mins to replicate did the cell test … <drumroll> … And both devices DID show up this time in ADC 5 mins or so later!

Now, I cannot say with 100% certainty that 1.14 f/w did the trick because I did have a 2nd ghost GC2 static controller causing a yellow warning at the panel while still on f/w 1.13 - I think due to the fact I did not first force remove it from STv2 before the GC2 Zwave reset.

But I can confirm on GC2 that it is indeed on f/w 1.14 now and I have successfully paired at least a dimmer and a lock from a SmartThings v2 primary!

Btw, what is the procedure for updating the GC2 as secondary once new devices are added to the primary from time to time?

I added another dimmer real quick before I left for work here. Ran a network repair from the GC2 but no 2nd dimmer showing up on the GC2. Thought maybe a primary feature so I did ST’s Zwave Network Repair cmd, still no 2nd dimmer. Had to go and still see a couple hours later nothing on ADC.

Surprised I’m not seeing much from either DIY or SmartThings forums about making sure the secondary updates its device list. But my understanding is the GC2 has the Static Update Controller (SUC) profile that is supposed to check and store any updates to the mesh network routing table - ie, GC2 is supposed to take care of automatically updating its device list, no?

Hey that’s great news!

I can confirm that yes, on 2GIG, currently 1.14 ( at least in a controlled environment with the two controllers nearby one another) the panel will in fact pick up newly added nodes to the primary (in my case, Vera).

They automatically populate in the 2GIG panel list within a minute or so, and subsequently, ADC.

Welp, it’s been a few hours now and still no 2nd dimmer on ADC (despite I verified it’s fully functional from the STv2’s interface). STv2 is sitting about 5 ft away from the GC2 right now. Too far? Since I won’t return home for a while can you initiate an update to see if it might be in the GC2 just not ADC?

And if the 2nd dimmer is still not in the GC2 list is there any cmd to force it to check for device updates from the primary (especially if I have to pull the STv2 on batteries and long ethernet cable even closer to the GC2)?

Ran an update but I do not see any new devices listed. 5 feet would be fine, realistically it should work at any communicable distance.

This may indicate your primary is not set to share the node info, perhaps? 2GIG does not have a copy device list function, but your primary likely has a way to manually force updated nodes to the secondary controller. (I am not familiar with ST UI, can you confirm?)

No, unfortunately the SmartThings app only has three Z-wave tools to do (batch) Exclusion, shift STv2 as a secondary controller, or Fix Network (heal). My understanding has been that a heal from the primary is supposed to tell the SUC (the GC2 here) to look for any new devices added - not true? Don’t know how many times I did that STv2 heal but nothing new ever replicated to the GC2.

So digging around a lot on the community.smartthings.com forums I was surprised to find very little about STv2 > secondary replication even for Vera, etc. But I did come across an older post from 2014 mentioning to do a simple “Add Device” from the STv2 then run another learn cycle at the secondary. I did that last night and waited some 20 mins while the GC2 seemed stuck forever on “Learning … Currently:Secondary”. Gave up, hit Cancel, checked GC2 device list and still no new energy monitor. Got pissed off and went to bed.

Woke up this morning greeted with a new KWh gauge on the GC2 homescreen :wink:

Sometimes this Z-Wave stuff gets quite frustratingly slow. And it DOES seem like the GC2 needs to in a sense MANUALLY initiate any device copy after updates to the primary.

Patience is the primary ingredient in any Z-wave network.

Hi-

I have STv2 and just moved a bunch of light switches and door locks from STv2 to my GC3. After reading this, it sounds like I can keep them connected to STv2 and add STv2 as a secondary controller to my GC3. My question is can I still setup rules with the devices/sensors using alarm.com? I guess I’m trying to figure out the downside of adding STv2 as a secondary controller.

Thanks

I have STv2 and just moved a bunch of light switches and door locks from STv2 to my GC3. After reading this, it sounds like I can keep them connected to STv2 and add STv2 as a secondary controller to my GC3. My question is can I still setup rules with the devices/sensors using alarm.com? I guess I’m trying to figure out the downside of adding STv2 as a secondary controller.

The GC3 controller will need to be the secondary controller. STv2 would have to be primary should you include both in a network.

The GC3 is new, and I am uncertain whether this integration will work perfectly yet since a fair number of Zwave devices still need compatibility added to GC3, but if you already have both it would be worth a shot. The learn controller function is available on the GC3. (System Settings - Installer Code - Smart Home Settings - Advanced Settings)

Yes, integrating the controllers this way will allow you primary control through your primary controller and still gain access to all compatible devices in Alarm.com using the GC3 panel (the secondary). Devices would be directly learned into the primary.

Hmm. Ok. So I can use ST and pair all devices to it? And then add the GC3 as a secondary controller? Can I still pair devices to the GC3 instead of ST if GC3 is a secondary? I think I’d want to add my doorlocks to GC3 directly because then alarm.com “takes over” and uses the same user codes and also allows me to set up rules to disarm the system using the doorlock’s keypad.

Also, if I arm/disarm the system through alarm.com app, will it arm/disarm the smart home monitor in ST? Or if I arm/disarm smarthings, will it arm/disarm my GC3?

Can I still pair devices to the GC3 instead of ST if GC3 is a secondary? I think I’d want to add my doorlocks to GC3 directly because then alarm.com “takes over” and uses the same user codes and also allows me to set up rules to disarm the system using the doorlock’s keypad.

No, with the GC3 as secondary, you would pair everything with the Primary controller.

Alarm.com control of locks and user codes is still available as a secondary controller. You do not lose any remote functionality.

Also, if I arm/disarm the system through alarm.com app, will it arm/disarm the smart home monitor in ST? Or if I arm/disarm smarthings, will it arm/disarm my GC3?

No. You can probably rig something using rules (ST may be able to arm based on the state of a device?, and ADC change the state of that device when you arm GC3?), but Arming of your Alarm system is separate. Alarm.com would have no direct control over ST in any way.