Testing your smokes with push button only? Your devices may fail in a fire

I have been telling people forever, if you have smoke alarms in your home, or smoke detectors tied to your alarm system, you need to invest in the $12 can of aerosol smoke test, and test your smokes properly.

Failure to do so, may just cost you your life (or the life of your loved ones).

FYI Vivint uses 2GIG smokes:

Contrary to popular belief, using the test button on a smoke alarm/detector (and yes there is a difference between the two), does not tell you if it will actually work in the event of a fire.

Test your smokes at least every 6 months with aerosol smoke detector tester.

Can smoke test aerosol:

Where to buy:

Amazon, eBay, etc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRC-Smoke-Test-Brand-Liquid-Smoke-Detector-Tester-2-5-oz-Aerosol-Can-Clear-02105/261751618801?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29947%26meid%3Dbe12f7e5b61c49399a6422798f094c92%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D350968117865

How to test (test procedure same):

Firefighter/local smoke alarms:

2GIG/monitored smoke detectors:

This is an important distinction to make. Pressing the test button only tells you whether the alarm signal is reaching the panel.

This is an important distinction to make. Pressing the test button only tells you whether the alarm signal is reaching the panel.

Not even that with local smoke alarms

I gave up smoking 1.5 yrs ago and started vaping. I can assure you I now know that my smoke alarm works. Before I could figure out what was going off Alarm.com called me.

Now I open a window or 2 before I start my morning fix for nicotine :slight_smile:

Just 1 more way to test the system and services… Thanks surety.

The critical thing is residue. I dunno about the vapor, but tobacco smoke for example will leave a residue on the detectors that may cause them to ultimately fail prematurely.

Whereas, on the other hand, the aerosol smoke testers do not leave a residue.

If the smokes go off when alarm isn’t armed, will CS get notified? Wondering if I burn something on the stove if I can expect a call.

Or if I fell asleep on the couch with my cave torch & started my grass skirt on fire.

If the smokes go off when alarm isn’t armed, will CS get notified

Yes. They are (09) 24- hour fire zone types.

Set them for (16) 24-hour fire with verification zone type if you are worried that cooking may activate them.

Saw your link on 2gig and followed your instructions for adding heat and freeze too.

For anyone else programming a 2GIG Smoke Detector-

Thanks Amanda. Didn’t see that one.