Tamper on window sensor

This week I’ve been getting random tampers on an IQ Mini window sensor. This sensor has been installed for about 9 months now and this has never happened before. I have not removed the cover, other than this week to visually inspect the tamper switch and check cover alignment since this started happening. Do these IQ Minis report low battery as a tamper? I could change the batteries, but given that these are less than a year old and haven’t had any other communication issues, I would think that isn’t really the problem. I’d trying to get this figured out before it happens while armed and scares the whole family.

To confirm, is this the S-Line mini or the standard mini sensor?

Note the low battery as a tamper error refers to Resolution Products RE111’s only.

Regarding the IQ mini and S-line version, both report Tamper, Tamper Restore and Low Battery.

When opening the sensor, is the black tamper switch sticking at all, does it move freely and report a tamper as expected?

I am seeing a malfunction on one of your sensors. While a borderline low battery can cause issues, the sensor may be having signalling issues.

How far away from the panel is the sensor in question? Has anything changed in the environment? Any metal near the sensor or near the panel? Is this the only sensor reporting the tamper?

Just to close the loop on this…

First, the malfunction you noted was unrelated and resolved with a translator.

After my original post, I had this happen to two window/door sensors, both S-line, both only about one year old. Both tampered and set off the alarm while the system was armed, on different occasions. Luckily I was able to intervene each time before the police were dispatched. I did some basic troubleshooting (checked cover, black tamper switch, changed batteries) but eventually replaced both sensors and have not had this problem again. So I’m confident they were defective units.

For me, once you no longer trust the sensor to operate properly, that peace of mind it’s supposed to provide is gone, and so you’re probably better off just replacing it. But these things are not cheap, so I don’t do that cavalierly.

I’ve read about others who appear to be having very similar issues with some of their S-line sensors, so I’m wondering if there was a quality control issue with a batch of these.

I’ve read about others who appear to be having very similar issues with some of their S-line sensors, so I’m wondering if there was a quality control issue with a batch of these.

This is possible. A few years ago there was a batch of DW10s which had an unusually high rate of failure. Newer units should be unaffected if this is actually the case, though we’ve not heard any confirmation that any issue occurred. It may be a fairly low quantity.