System Reporting Multiple Tampers

My system is now reporting rolling tampers and end of tampers every few minutes. There is no actual tamper going on, and the system does not tell me any particular sensor, etc. that is being tampered. It just reports as a system tamper. This is pretty urgent as it is continuous. Now is when I wish you still had a phone number.

Happy to assist. Panel tamper is typically a physical issue. This refers to the alarm panel’s internal tamper switch, not an individual sensor.

The backplate could be loose, or wiring could be in the way, you will want to disarm the system to check the tamper switch. The below guide covers tamper switch placement and troubleshooting for a variety of panels.

If you have 24/7 monitoring you may want to place the account on test mode (done through System Manager section of Surety account) prior to working on the system to avoid false dispatches.

I took off the panel to check the switch. It appeared fine and was not obstructed by a wire or anything. However, now I get a tamper notice every time the system is disarmed. Do I have to replace the panel??

However, now I get a tamper notice every time the system is disarmed

When you disarm locally, or remotely?

To verify, if you hold down the tamper switch for a few seconds, then let go, does a tamper report to the panel? (it should)

Have you turned the Tamper off in programming to avoid alarms? avoid trouble beeps. This will not prevent alarms from occurring.

Navigate to Panel Programming and set Q64 System Tamper Causes Trouble to Disabled.

To do so, navigate to:

• System Settings
  • Enter Installer Code
  • Installer Toolbox
  • System Configuration
  • Panel Programming

Be sure to save the programming change by clicking Return to System Configuration, then the Back Arrow then Save.

When you disarm locally, or remotely?

Both

To verify, if you hold down the tamper switch for a few seconds, then let go, does a tamper report to the panel? (it should)

When I take the panel off the wall, it reports a tamper immediately. While I poked at the tab to make sure it was flexible, it was already in tamper mode by that time.

Have you turned the Tamper off in programming to avoid alarms?

I did at first, but it did not stop alarms while the system was armed, It only stopped the audible alarms while the system was disarmed. So, I turned it back on.

I should have mention ed that it has not been reporting tampers randomly like it was before, just whenever the system is disarmed.

Have you performed a power cycle on the panel? If not, disarm the system, unplug the power supply from the wall, then open the panel and disconnect the internal battery. Leave it off for a couple minutes then power it back up, battery first followed by power supply.

When putting the panel back together, mind the wires and ensure the back plate is connected to the panel properly.

After the panel reboots, test it. Any change?

The system reporting a tamper when the panel is disarmed remotely is highly suspect as tampers are a physical issue. This is likely indicative of hardware failure and the panel should be replaced.

Is there a way to transfer the programming from the old panel to the new one?

That depends on which panel you transfer to.

It is possible to transfer RF Sensor Programming and Users from the 2GIG GC3 to GC3/3E, GC2/2E.

Transfers from the 2GIG GC3 to the 2GIG Edge or Qolsys brand 345MHz IQ Panels it is not possible.

Only RF Sensor programming and Users can be transfered. Z-Wave, Image Sensors, Secondary Panel programming cannot be transfered to those compatible 2GIG panels.

Additionally, the 2GIG GC2, GC3, and GC3e have all been discontinued. 2GIG sells the GC2e and the Edge only.

The Qolsys brand IQ Panel 2+ is available in 345MHz and the IQ Panel 4 (just released) has a 345MHz version coming out soon but there is not ETA on availability at this time.

Thanks. Sounds like it will be a hassle.

Programming on the Qolsys IQP2/4 and 2GIG Edge panels is pretty straightforward. I think the Qolsys panel is a tad easier to program than the EDGE (which is pretty similar to the GC3).

If you have any questions about system compatibility or programming, just let us know.