System Design

I’m finally getting ready to pull the trigger. Using Surety for sure and the Qolsys panel. My house has a pretty open floor plan so I think two motions on the on the first floor will provide good coverage. I’ll obviously put sensors on all the doors. My first question, is there a recessed door sensor available for the Qolsys system?

My second question comes to windows. I understand the motions will provide the cheapest coverage while armed away. What is the best way to cover windows while home? I’ve read about shock, glass break, and obviously just putting a sensor on each window but am still unsure of the best solution. I’ve read about arming away while home, but I work weird hours so it would be nice to be able to leave it armed and still move around the house.

Lastly, I’m curious how most people cover a roll up garage door. Is it best to just use a garage door contact but only monitor it, not have it trigger the alarm? We will enter the house mostly from the garage.

My first question, is there a recessed door sensor available for the Qolsys system?

Not that I know of as far as wireless GE sensors. Wired recessed sensors can have their wires run to a transmitter of some kind, like the Hardwire 16, RE108, or RE101.

What is the best way to cover windows while home?

Motion/Image Sensor is the most cost effective, but I am partial to combined window/shock sensors on the more sensitive areas. If you feel like you will want the perimeter armed while home, combined shock/window sensors give the best protection.

Is it best to just use a garage door contact but only monitor it, not have it trigger the alarm?

I typically recommend just using overhead garage door sensors as notification sensors only. Using them for security purposes is fine (wouldn’t recommend using tilts for that though) but you need to adjust habits around it. Setting it as a long entry/exit sensor is usually enough to be able to disarm, but you will typically want to plan the system so that a keypad is accessible nearby inside the home.

Thanks for all the help. I finally pulled the trigger and placed an order yesterday.

I ordered with some re 122 and will be ordering some more down the road. I just saw the re 111 online and it looks like you guys used to carry them but not anymore. What is the reasoning behind this?

Thanks again, I love the forum and am looking forward to getting set up and then adding a lot to the system down the road.

I have also seen the RE111 still floating around for sale, but the RE122 is its replacement. The RE111 is no longer in production.

Glad to hear our forum has been helpful thus far. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions.