Switching 2gig from Vivint to Surety

Hey guys,

I just moved into a new house and pulled my Vivint panel off the wall at the old house to bring to the new house. I happen to be 2 months away from my Vivint contract expiring, so I’m in the process of cancelling.

My question is, if I don’t have my Vivint panel deactivated with them yet, can I still swap out the cellular module and get my 2gig panel activated with SuretyDIY? Am I correct in assuming it’s the cell module and not the panel itself that registers with alarm.com?

My question is, if I don’t have my Vivint panel deactivated with them yet, can I still swap out the cellular module and get my 2gig panel activated with SuretyDIY? Am I correct in assuming it’s the cell module and not the panel itself that registers with alarm.com?

Yes (but only if it is a GoControl panel). If you have a Skypanel, then only your 2GIG sensors/TAKE is reusable with Surety/ADC.

Vivint is notorious for auto-renewing contracts, and It is a difficult battle to actually cancel (and even then they will still try to bill/charge your card/account). You have to cancel in writing at least 30 days prior to auto contract renewal date. Your best bet is to also do an ACH revoke authorization with your financial institution, so if/when they do start taking money you can get it reversed. Also make sure you get it in writing that they confirm receipt of your cancellation letter (NOC letter), you may need this for when they send you to collections (or for when the collection agency sues you for the debt).

Usually they trick Users close to auto-renewal by calling around 6-12 months prior to that renewal date and get them to agree to a verbal contract renewal extension (verbal contracts are legally binding). Sometimes they get you to sign the contract renewal in the guise of signing for service work/new gear installation (folded over paper on clip board, and “sign here”).

Rule of thumb, never sign anything without reading it (especially with Vivint). Also, for those who cancel Vivint, for the next 6 months or so, watch your accounts every month for charges.

If it is a 2GIG panel that you have, it can typically be re-used but you would most likely need a new cell module regardless.

We can’t speak to other companies policies whether or not the equipment is yours to own, you would have to contact them to find out more information.

For a full rundown on what it takes to switch using a 2GIG Go!Control panel, check out this guide here.

Remember to check out our monitoring packages, like Gold Interactive, here.

Right, I’m not worried about the administrative implications with Vivint, just from a technical perspective. I have the 2Gig Go Control (GC2) not the Sky panel. I just want to ensure that if I go ahead and buy the cellular module, it will be able to be activated even if the old account isn’t closed with Vivint yet.

Also, I’m wondering what is the return/exchange policy for the cellular modules? I have 2 bars of Verizon service on my iPhone 6 throughout my house. If the verizon module is not sufficient, can I swap it out for an AT&T one? Or, if I buy an AT&T one up front and it sucks too, can I swap for a Verizon card?

Right, I’m not worried about the administrative implications with Vivint, just from a technical perspective. I have the 2Gig Go Control (GC2) not the Sky panel. I just want to ensure that if I go ahead and buy the cellular module, it will be able to be activated even if the old account isn’t closed with Vivint yet.

Signing up with another module would be a completely new Alarm.com account. Local device programming does not change, and the new account would populate your device list as it is in Alarm.com. It is not impacted by your prior account (other than same login name cannot be used.) Be sure to delete any Video cameras from the old account first before trying to add them to the new account.

Also, I’m wondering what is the return/exchange policy for the cellular modules? I have 2 bars of Verizon service on my iPhone 6 throughout my house. If the verizon module is not sufficient, can I swap it out for an AT&T one? Or, if I buy an AT&T one up front and it sucks too, can I swap for a Verizon card?

Our return policy can be found here. 30 day return policy on equipment with no wear and tear, with original parts and packaging.

Phone service is generally a poor correlation to machine to machine cell coverage, so you would want to use the coverage check tool to determine the best module carrier. When all things are equal, we typically see better overall coverage from Verizon.

Awesome, thanks so much. On the programming side I will be resetting it prior to activation since it’s a different house.

Final question, Would I have time to order today and get it shipped to zip 35124 before the weekend? If so what is the latest I need to order? I’ll be looking to get the “switch to DIY” combo along with a few other extras.

Our orders typically require one full business day for processing, and are shipped from Columbus, Ohio. Available options for shipment from carriers (UPS and USPS) are shown when you are checking out with your purchase. When a package arrives would depend on not only when you order, and where you are shipping to, but also which carrier option you select.