SVR and Outdoor Cameras

I don’t see many posts about the SVR since the Beta. Is anybody using it?

I have one, and I experienced the biggest short coming the other day. Since it records 24/7 its like searching for a needle in a haystack for short movement events that didn’t trigger an alarm.
Why didn’t the beta or developers pick this up and make the Camera/SVR put a marker on the timeline for movement events, this is supposed to be a smart solution after all.

Also the 2nd biggest shortcoming/ peeve is the pitiful selection of outdoor cameras, these look like antiquated analog cameras. Why hasn’t Alarm.com released anything decent in this area, and no I don’t buy the customised firmware gab, they certainly could have released custom firmware on new cameras within the last 2 to 3 years!!..

I have one, and I experienced the biggest short coming the other day. Since it records 24/7 its like searching for a needle in a haystack for short movement events that didn’t trigger an alarm. Why didn’t the beta or developers pick this up and make the Camera/SVR put a marker on the timeline for movement events, this is supposed to be a smart solution after all.

Motion Triggered video recordings do in fact place a tick mark on the SVR Timeline. Motion Recorded Video Schedules must be set up in order for this to happen.

Log in to your Alarm.com account and access the video motion detection settings for your cameras. You will need to set up motion capture windows, set the target size and sensitivity, then save.

Then create a new cloud recording schedule for Video Motion Detection Events for the desired cameras.

Also the 2nd biggest shortcoming/ peeve is the pitiful selection of outdoor cameras, these look like antiquated analog cameras. Why hasn’t Alarm.com released anything decent in this area, and no I don’t buy the customised firmware gab, they certainly could have released custom firmware on new cameras within the last 2 to 3 years!!…

Are you specifically referring to camera aesthetics? Which model are you referring to? For the most part Alarm.com uses Vivotek as the OEM for their cameras. Additional models are being released including outdoor domes.

Motion Triggered video recordings do in fact place a tick mark on the SVR Timeline. Motion Recorded Video Schedules must be set up in order for this to happen.

Log in to your Alarm.com account and access the video motion detection settings for your cameras. You will need to set up motion capture windows, set the target size and sensitivity, then save.

Then create a new cloud recording schedule for Video Motion Detection Events for the desired cameras.

Doesn’t this use the 1000 clips cloud recording feature and uploads video? Then what is the point of the SVR? I have 4 outdoor cameras, and I want the SVR recording 24/7 which is what its doing, however I want the SVR to place tick marks on the timeline for motion. If it does not count against 1000 clips cloud space, and uploads video, then that is great and I will set it up.

If it does count against the 1000 clip cloud space then this is nonsencial and diminishes the value of the SVR, Alarm.com should seriously look into adding this simple feature to the SVR.

It does use the clips, but presumably anything that would be important to note on the SVR would be important to have cloud backup of the clip.

It depends on the scenario of course, where the cameras are located and what they intend to watch, and also how many cameras you use, but generally for home security purposes 1000 clips should be what you aim to stay under with motion detection settings with 3 or 4 cameras or they would be unwieldy regardless.

Alarm triggered recordings, while contributing toward the total, continue to upload and save past your quota.

It would be a good addition though I would think, adding motion events to the SVR without recording to cloud, but the camera firmware would need altered.

VMD is determined by the camera, not the recording device in this instance, and recording schedules in your video tab (determining whether clips are saved to cloud) control whether or not VMD is even turned on or not. VMD independent of cloud video rules would need to be implemented.

We’re happy to send this to ADC as a suggestion!