Status/Feedback Indication of Z-Wave Light Switches within Alarm.com App

Hello,

I have several z-wave controlled light switches, and have noticed that Alarm.com does not show the status of these switches within the app (i.e. whether the lights are on, or not). Found some good discussions on this subject here and here. I do not use nor plan to use Lutron Caseta at this time, which I understand may offer such capabilities.

My understanding is z-wave controllers in general do support this type of status feedback, but that Alarm.com, specifically, either does not support this at all for z-wave, or perhaps just not under certain constraints. I understand that z-wave controllers have the capability to determine status “normally” via periodic polling (slower feedback), or via “instant status” capabilities (more of real-time feedback, but which requires z-wave devices that support some additional capabilities).

I found some good info on polling vs. “instant status” feedback info here, here, here, and here.

None of my current light switches (older GE model, as well as some Leviton DZS15-1BZs) appear to provide any feedback capabilities when used with Alarm.com. I am wondering if using newer z-wave light switches that support “instant status” might provide these capabilities? Or, is the only way to achieve this with Alarm.com to go with Lutron Caseta integration?

Thanks!

I do see z-wave light switch status both in the app and on my Qolsys panel. Using all GE switches model 12722 and their equivalent three-way models too.

Oh, very interesting… I just looked it up and my GE switch is also a 12722. Yet, like my Leviton DZS15-1BZs, I never get status on any of these. Pretty sure neither model supports “instant status” either, for that matter.

The only status I do get is a momentary “acknowledgement” to an ON or OFF command in the app when I press ON or OFF. But then it’s just goes back to the generic (unknown) indication afterwards.

I have a GE/Interlogix Concord 4 for my panel, if that might be relevant. Anyone here with a Concord 4 that has this working?

The Concord 4 does not support light status polling.

This is a long-standing issue caused by Lutron patent which limits other systems from “richly” conveying status, meaning the light switch can’t tell the controller it has been flipped, so any local change is unknown when it happens.

Controllers get around this through polling on a consistent basis. The panels which support light status in ADC are found here.

Thank you very much for the information, Warren.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but I understand that it is what it is…

I see the 2gig GC1 and GC2 are on the list, but not GC3. Do you know of any plans to add polling in GC3? I’ve recently installed my system and am deciding between Z-wave and Caseta for my lights.

Thanks,
Alan

I would say it should be expected for the GC3, but I do not have an ETA. We’ll check with ADC to find out if it’s already in the works.

Got word back from ADC, unfortunately it is the same, no ETA, but it’s active. It takes coordination with the panel manufacturers and firmware to support the status polling, so it takes a little longer for that type of addition typically, but they do expect it before too long.

We received some further updates. Looks like light status for the IQ Panel 2 and the Powerseries SEM should now be active. In addition, the GC3 is being actively worked on and is expected very soon. No specific ETA, but I’d guess within a couple months at least.

Thanks, Jason and Warren, it’s good to hear that support for this is gradually being expanded to other panels.

That having been said, is there any hope of this functionality ever getting supported on the Concord 4? Especially, considering the Concord 4 is made by the same manufacturer as the Simon XT and XTi systems, which I see do support this functionality?

Regards,
Tarek

I’ll follow up with Alarm.com and see if they have any word on the Concord 4, no news was reported previously, but it may also be in development.

Concord 4 is in development as well, but a newer firmware is needed for modules in that case it sounds like. Concord modules, like Simon ones, cannot be updated. They would need to be replaced with a newer version unfortunately to get newer firmware.

Now the firmware version required is not stated yet, and there is no real info on it, so we couldn’t say definitively what will be needed or if any existing modules will be supported. We’ll know more when it is closer to fruition.