Standalone Ethernet Camera with Storage

This one might go in an interesting category.

We have a project where we need occasional video surveillance of a specific area. We need to be able to turn on video recording and live streaming (to authorized clients). I was looking at Dropcam, but it requires WiFi in its current state and we don’t have WiFi, only Ethernet. I would like a solution which didn’t require 24/7 surveillance unless needed, but that had possible cloud and local storage backup.

Both need to also be pretty easy to use for anyone to understand.

What is the saying, to the person holding a hammer every problem looks like a nail?

But in all seriousness, Alarm.com Video and the SVR is likely a good solution depending on needs.

Easy to use.
Quick admin access to edit user video access. Can create authorized logins on the spot. The app is free.
24/7 recording + cloud event storage.
SVR Compatible cameras: ADC-V520, ADC-V520IR, ADC-V620PT, ADC-V720, ADC-V720W, ADCV721W,
ADC-V820

Hmm, that’s definitely intriguing. Most of their cameras can be added via Ethernet I believe.

Is there a breakdown of what the monthly fee would be for JUST the video monitoring? How much is the SVR? I don’t see it on the site.

Here is the video stand-alone service page. We do not yet carry the SVR but it can be purchased from multiple sources.

SVR service is $5/month.

How much is the SVR? I don’t see it on the site.

The SVR retails for approx. $500 for 1TB, and $600 for 2TB ( wholesale dealer cost is $400 and $500). The best prices are usually on ebay.

Google “ADC-SVR1001” and “ADC-SVR1002”

What about Foscam?

The 8931 has 960 recording and the 9821 has 720 recording, both under $100. Foscam cameras are ONVIF compliant, and there are plenty of recorders on eBay and Amazon (I personally use a Dahua recorder). The cameras have SD slots as well, so depending on Resolution and whether you’re doing 24/7 recording or simply motion events, might go back a few days. It has the option for saving to FTP (or cloud) and can send notifications for motion.

Foscam cameras are PTZ as well.

For a higher resolution alternative, you can do the same with Dahua or Hikvision cameras and NVRs… I have 16 outdoor cameras recording at 3MP resolution.

To price it out for you, the camera would typically be $100, NVR $200-300 without hard drive, and a WD purple drive for 2TB for about another $100. You’d obviously have plenty of room to grow too.

The Stanalone Dahua and Hikvision cameras are also POE (power over Ethernet) so 1 Ethernet cable carries both Power and video. For POE, you’d also need a POE injector or router. The 4 Port router will be another $40-50.

The above Alternatives do not require you to incur any monthly monitoring fees either. You can typically select pretty intricate settings as to user permissions too. Another benefit is remote administration, as well as remote saving of video surveillance footage.

As you can tell, I’ve just installed a system and I’m pretty versed in the available options…

Or he can go the alarm.com cameras and NVR without the markup, or monthly fees. Vivotek makes all the surveillance gear.

The Vivotek cameras are VGA resolution, which is 640x480, which is pretty low res by today’s standards. Foscam is 1280 x 720p or 1280 x 960. The Dahua 3MP cameras are 2048×1536.

So realistically, they’re in completely different ballparks. Since he was looking at the Dropcams initially, which are 1080p, I’d think the above solutions are more suited for his needs vs the Vivotek.

The Vivotek cameras are VGA resolution, which is 640×480, which is pretty low res by today’s standards. Foscam is 1280 x 720p or 1280 x 960. The Dahua 3MP cameras are 2048×1536.

Your info is bad. All the new Vivotek’s are H.264 1280x800 1920x1080 for example, the IP8131W is the same camera as the ADC-V520IR.

The outdoor bullet IP8367 is 1920x1080

See: http://www.vivotek.com/downloads/

You do realize that the outdoor bullet is $450/camera, right? So to step up to the same resolution a Dahua offers for $100, you have to spend 4.5x the amount. Wouldn’t you just want 4-5 cameras at that point?

And yes, I stand corrected on the Vivoteks. They do offer the same resolution, just not at the same price point.

Since he was looking at the Dropcams initially, which are 1080p, I’d think the above solutions are more suited for his needs vs the Vivotek.

And now he is looking at alarm.com cameras, and network video recorders, which are Vivotek (just with a price markup, and a firmware variant to strip functionality, and lock it to a fee based service)

As for cost, it depends where you buy them. I can get a brand new outdoor Vivotek 1920x1080 IB8369 for $185 or less on ebay.