Some Questions Before Switching to suretyDIY with a 2GIG Panel

Hi,

I am very interested in switching to your service from another Alarm.com dealer but I have a few questions before doing so. I currently have a 2GIG GC2 panel and a TS1 secondary touchscreen keypad.

1. I’m going to need to update my cellular module. Is there any advantage to using the AT&T or Verizon modules? Both show full coverage in my area.

2. If I do not get a new panel and just replace the cellular module, can you update the firmware of the panel with a Mac? I only see instructions for doing it with a PC.

3. I have a significant number of Zwave devices. Will these need to be unpaired from my current panel before re-pairng them to a new panel?

4. My current system consists of a builder-provided wired system connected to my 2GIG system with a super switch. Is it easy for the new panel to recognize the super switch? There are also legacy wireless sensors attached to the old system.

5. I have two cameras that were installed by my current provider. They had to extend the power supply to the new cameras and send it through the wall from an indoor outlet. If I upgrade to the newer cameras, can the power supplies also be extended. It looks like all they did was splice the power supply to a cable that extends the run and connects to the power supply on my existing cameras. I currently have the alarm.com ADC-V720W cameras and am thinking of updating to the ADC-V722W cameras.

Thanks

I’m going to need to update my cellular module. Is there any advantage to using the AT&T or Verizon modules? Both show full coverage in my area.

Going with the LTE will likely have extended carrier lifetime, but on its face there is no current advantage. The Panel cellular connection does not see noticeable advantage from LTE over other options as the demands are not high.

If I do not get a new panel and just replace the cellular module, can you update the firmware of the panel with a Mac? I only see instructions for doing it with a PC.

2GIG’s update software for the GC2 requires a PC. You can set up a Windows virtual machine on a MAC and run it that way, however.

Another option is the 2GIG UPDV which is a self contained updater tool, but it is pricier than the cable.

I have a significant number of Zwave devices. Will these need to be unpaired from my current panel before re-pairng them to a new panel?

Yes, specifically for Z-wave devices, they must go through the Remove Device process in order to break their saved network information and allow them to be re-added. You can typically do this from any panel however.

My current system consists of a builder-provided wired system connected to my 2GIG system with a super switch. Is it easy for the new panel to recognize the super switch? There are also legacy wireless sensors attached to the old system.

If you are swapping panels you would just program the TAKE sensor zones one for one. Regular sensors only broadcast their signal and the panel is tuned to listen to them. It is not two way comms like Z-wave.

This video goes over the setup process for the TAKE-345.

I have two cameras that were installed by my current provider. They had to extend the power supply to the new cameras and send it through the wall from an indoor outlet. If I upgrade to the newer cameras, can the power supplies also be extended. It looks like all they did was splice the power supply to a cable that extends the run and connects to the power supply on my existing cameras. I currently have the alarm.com ADC-V720W cameras and am thinking of updating to the ADC-V722W cameras.

Extending the power supply cable that comes with the camera is pretty common. Yes, you could do so by cutting into the power supply wire and physically splicing the same as the current cams. I would test them first and add them to your network before cutting and mounting.

Thanks for the reply on this. It looks like you can do firmware updates on the GC3 with a USB drive if I’m reading the manual correctly. Is that correct?

I think I understand how to program the zones with the super switch. I assume it would be a good idea to record all of the original programming information from the old panel first (e.g. serial numbers for the sensors).

It looks like you can do firmware updates on the GC3 with a USB drive if I’m reading the manual correctly. Is that correct?

Yep, that’s correct. The GC3 does not require the update cable and instead uses a USB port on the top of the panel.

I think I understand how to program the zones with the super switch. I assume it would be a good idea to record all of the original programming information from the old panel first (e.g. serial numbers for the sensors).

Since sensors only broadcast there is no need to power down or delete the existing panel while programming the new one, so you could simply go through using the old panel’s sensor programming as a guide. That way you’ll know you haven’t skipped any zones.