Some information on the SWM150

Getting to know the device, we have not adjusted the low/med/high limits but I turned on notifications for all.

1st I was getting notifications all night for LOW but there was no water usage measure at all on this meter or my other standard meter…not sure the deal there.

2nd just not the valve closed with no alert, or explanation as to why. I never got a notification I went to use the sink and there was no pressure I checked the app and sure enough it was closed.

Very strange…

If your meter is working correctly, sounds like you have a slow leak somewhere. I would check toilets and faucets. The leak can be so small, that it will take time to register on the meter. You could ask you dealer to send you the raw data, to see what caused the low water alert.

As for notifications, there should be an option to make this rule/notification. Have you enabled it?

Just curious, do you have a traditional hot water heater (one that uses gas to heat up the water in a tank) and if so, do you have an expansion tank installed on it?

There’s no leak at all we’ve verified with a secondary meter that tracks as low as .01 gallons us use where this one seems to track only 5 gallon increments. Toilets. in the same time period it alerted for low flow there was ZERO usage even on the other meter not even a very small amount. and if there was the low flow alert should be very consistent and it’s not it’s very inconsistent. Leaks are not inconsistent things, even a drip is consistent.

Right now I am more concerned about the seemingly random vavle shutdown (there is no shutdown configured for low flow just the alarm…that was a ghost shutdown for sure.

Right now I am more concerned about the seemingly random vavle shutdown (there is no shutdown configured for low flow just the alarm…that was a ghost shutdown for sure.

Please be sure that you reach out to your dealer. They can check the dealer history for indication of command traffic, they can confirm the settings for low flow thresholds, and they can help determine if an automation rule may have closed that valve.

If there is no indication of a cause, the SWM150 should be factory reset and re-included it in the network, then test the meter again and watch for any odd behavior.

If you do factory reset it, do you see this behavior again?

I did get this from alarm.com as well which makes more sense on the alerts (not the random closure). I will say my dealer sort of relies on me to learn more about the new stuff since I am his biggest geek customer.

The Low Flow sensor for the water meter completes a calibration within the first 24 hours of installation before reporting a low flow. We recommend letting your security company know about this so they can send the command to recalibrate the meter from their side of our software.

There’s no leak at all we’ve verified with a secondary meter that tracks as low as .01 gallons us use where this one seems to track only 5 gallon increments.

have you tried turning off your main water valve? Maybe even keeping a faucet open to let the pressure out and see if it stops detecting low flow.

By the way, what secondary meter do you have that can detect 0.01 gallons (per h or s?). Supposedly, the SWM150 can detect down to 0.1 L/h

This is strange last night my metre also told me that there was a low-flow condition detected.

I took my own advice and turned off the main water valve and then it stopped after 1 minute. This would lead me to believe that there is some sort of low-flow condition.

Check for leaks couldn’t find nothing.

And then overnight it gave me a low-flow condition for about 18 minutes and it resolved in its own.

In the year that I’ve had this I’ve never experienced this before unless I was testing it.

I’m still looking for slow leaks but can’t find anything I wonder if alarm.com somehow I reset the end analytics on all these devices?

I’ve been troubleshooting this low flow leak since Friday evening and I’ve found a leak. One of my toilets was causing the low flow condition. It wasn’t easy to find because visually, I cannot see a leak! I basically had to turn off valves toilets, faucets, humidifiers, shower heads, etc and wait ( for at least 12 hrs because I would get alerts every 12 hrs).

I was about to give up and tell me dealer to re-calibrate the low flow sensor, but I’m glad I didn’t because then I would have had this leak included in the baseline.

@ccolotti some options for you…this meter is really sensitive.

Interesting, my toilets are easy to look at b/c they are pressure assist tanks to they can’t leak water into the pressure bladder (they are designed to prevent running leaks by doing so there’s no “float” in them. I do have an under counter ice maker that does not actually leak but it does had an internal reservoir does have a float and will run very small amounts over time to keep the tank full for ice making. Most ice makers do the same thing, but even then the second meter would show usage overnight which it does not every morning I check it and it’s at dead zero usage from midnight.

Also I got more info from ADC:

Thank you for reaching out to us concerning the valve shut-off event. We definitely understand your concern.

That even was due to a Calibration Command. It seems that when we were attempting to look at your account to determine the symptom of your previous questions, the device recalibrated. As a part of the recalibration process - the device closes when the command is sent. We apologize for the inconvenience and the scare recalibration may have caused. However, we would want to know about any further events to determine their cause.

so be aware a new calibration command will issue a valve close, but I have not seen a low flow notification since those initial ones and it seems they did issue a re-calibration (which was indicated by the random valve closure)…all interesting and useful information for others IMO :slight_smile:

Here is all the logs since the initial and my notification settings as well for info.

I decided to increment the alarm/shutoff rules since I also have the notifications configured.

all great information! Yes, i remember now when we first did the calibration, it warned (the dealer) that the valve will turn off within (or for) 30 minutes.

Definitely, you have one of those air plane toilets that can’t leak, but I have a float toilet.

I was using the help of my main water valve to find this leak, its an 8 digit valve with a spinning wheel that has 0.0005 m^3 resolution and i can see that little wheel move every 5 to 10 seconds, so I new something was up.

But point taken, the SMW150 is a very capable device, we are seeing basically nothing from customer end. For example, here’s a screen shot form the advanced diagnostics of the low flor sensor that I obtained from a Field Engineer at ADC. Notice the voltage scale, this is how the low flow detects minute issues:

FB_IMG_1605675145544

1 Like

But point taken, the SMW150 is a very capable device, we are seeing basically nothing from customer end

I’m really not certain why this is. We’ve pushed to essentially just duplicate the dealer diagnostics and installer settings for users.

2 Likes

Agreed it’s data I can use as a home owner to find an issue but it’s only visible to others. I don’t understand that and I agree this should be made readily available as an “advanced” customer view. Who wants to call the provider to get the data just to find a possible leak. Provide the info directly it speeds up the process. Jason keep pushing I guess and I will as a user. I’ve done a lot of public twitter interaction with ADC on new product. Happy to poke the nest on this too.

Yes it’s like they’ve only provided the equivalent of “idiot lights” to the user but I can’t fis the problem if I don’t have the data and it’s going to maybe need a plumber not my alarm guy LOL

1 Like