Smoke Replacement: hard wire or wireless

Apologies for being a bit off topic. I have a Surety monitored system with a GC3 2gig panel which incorporates some older hard wired elements from an old system via a takeover module. I recently tested the hardwired smokes, and all failed. I suspect they are quite long in the tooth. The model smoke was discontinued years ago, and the replacement model was discontinued years ago. They are 4 wire combo smoke heat detectors. Does anyone have an opinion as to the pros and cons of replacing with new hardwired units vs wireless units? Any opinions on the best units available? All thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks.

I like the Honeywell 5808W3.

I experimented with several brands/models commonly found at big box stores prior to going with the Honeywell. I also tried using a sensor from another alarm panel manufacturer. All of the other sensors had frequent issues with false alarms. False alarms are not acceptable to me because you will eventually pull the battery and forget that you’ve done so. The Honeywell’s have worked beautifully for three years. Not a single issue.

Thanks, Jrlivin2. I see this is a wireless model. Does it connect to the 2gig GC3 panel? Why did you choose wireless instead of wired?

I forgot to mention to mention that my current wired smokes, although part of the old taken over system, are pulled into the GC3 panel via a firefighter audio sensor.

We bought a home with an old DSC alarm panel and 9 smoke detectors that were wired together but not part of the alarm system.

I used a takeover module and switched out the old DSC alarm panel to a new 2GIG GC3 panel. The current setup is a combination of old hard wired door/window/motion sensors and new wireless Honeywell sensors (glass break, motion, additional door sensors, smoke sensors, etc.)

I researched several options for smoke sensors including using the firefighter audio sensor you mentioned. Primarily as a result of my prior poor experiences with false alarms from other smoke sensors I wanted to try the Honeywells (5808W3). I did a lot of reading and found excellent reviews nearly everywhere.

I can confirm that they have worked great for us. Not a single false alarm in three years.

I will mention that I have heard Honeywell now has a wireless smoke/CO sensor that I think they call the 5800COMBO. It wasn’t available when I was building my system but may be with looking at if you also need CO sensors.

The 5800COMBO is a great addition to the sensor line-up, yes! The 5800COMBO or the SMKT3 will come with an expected 10 year lifespan. Be sure to replace all smokes past their expiration date. Sensing elements degrade over time.

If you are looking for wired detectors to replace your existing ones, you will typically have a wider range of options with wired detectors, since compatibility isn’t really a thing. Just need one to match the specs and there are lots of manufacturers. This is likely the cheaper option, but you do get some added benefits with wireless units, namely tertiary functions (like freeze detection with the SMKT3) and individualized activity (instead of just seeing that the smoke circuit alarmed in history, you see that a specific smoke detector went off, and have individual supervision on all of them.)

It appears that the 5800COMBO will interface directly with the GC3 panel is that correct? Would you recommend this detector? Note, I am really not concerned about false alarms.

I also have a heat sensor right above the water heater. Would it make sense to replace it with the 5800Combo or should I go back with another heat detector? all opinions appreciated.

It appears that the 5800COMBO will interface directly with the GC3 panel is that correct? Would you recommend this detector? Note, I am really not concerned about false alarms.

The 5800Combo is new and I have not installed one yet, but it looks like exactly what a lot of users have wanted for a while. As a 5800 series sensor it should be compatible out of the box with 2GIG. The Carbon and Smoke sensing capabilities are learned in as separate serial numbers and zones.

I also have a heat sensor right above the water heater. Would it make sense to replace it with the 5800Combo or should I go back with another heat detector? all opinions appreciated.

If you do not have one already, a carbon monoxide detector would be a good add, but it should not go directly above the heater. It should be generally placed at least 3-5 feet horizontally from a co producing source like a solid fuel appliance.