Smoke Detectors IN Garages

Is it not recommended to put smoke detectors in garages?

It is recommended to use a Heat Detector but not a device with smoke detection due to a few environmental factors that can cause false alarms.

When choosing a detector you will want to ensure that the typical ambient temperature of the garage falls within the sensor’s rated temperature tolerance.

1 Like

Can you share what envirmental factors false a smoke detector?

I asked because of the delay thst may occur with heat only?

Let’s say a car catches fire in the garage. How long will it take the heat detector to detect it? I would assume the fire has to be pretty big vs smoke detection?

I have an older 2 gig fire and heat detector in there now and never falsed. I’m not saying that to be argumentative. Rather to see if that worked all these years, would that be indicative of a smoke detector being ok? Also i thought the heat and smoke detectors were better because the heat and smoke detection checked with each other to verify?

There are numerous false alarm and other problems possible in a typical garage, such as vehicle exhaust, dust, humidity, insects, temperature swings, etc.

The device is much more likely to experience both a false alarm and a dirty sensing element in a typical garage.

If you choose to use one in a garage, mileage may vary.

Smoke detectors will typically detect faster, but they are not appropriate for all areas.

Also i thought the heat and smoke detectors were better because the heat and smoke detection checked with each other to verify?

No. Those are independent functions on the detector. One is required to alarm.