Smkt3 too sensitive in kitchen

I have an smkt3 smoke detector in our kitchen - it is across the room from the range and oven. We have had it there since we originally installed the system and haven’t had too much of an issue until more recently. We have had a few false alarms due to cooking in the kitchen - it created some smoke, but certainly not an unusual amount. Also, if I leave the kitchen door open when grilling outside, that has also triggered an alarm event.

I am wondering - could it be that this unit has become too sensitive? Or am I better off removing the smoke detector from the kitchen entirely? I have one not too far away, so a real fire would trigger that other detector (not as quickly, though, because there is a soffit all around the kitchen that would contain smoke until it becomes thick enough to go under the soffit).

Another thought - would a heat detector in the kitchen be appropriate and then have the smoke detectors in the neighboring rooms?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

I use a heat detector in the kitchen for the reasons you state. Pretty typical use case.

Smoke detectors are not recommended for installation in a kitchen usually due to the frequency of false alarms. For the SMKT3/SMKT8 you can just pair the heat loop and leave the smoke loop unprogrammed though, which is a good work-around.

The Kitchen Smoke labeled on your system appears to be a PowerG model however.

You could either swap the location of a 2GIG Smoke with that one and just program in the heat loop, or use a PowerG heat sensor there in the kitchen. Use smoke detectors in other areas of that floor.

[[quote=“pounce, post:2, topic:27438, username:pounce”]
I use a heat detector in the kitchen for the reasons you state.
[/quote]

Thank you, @pounce !

Thank you for the info, Jason - I actually have to replace an expired smoke detector in one of the bedrooms, so I think I will relocate the smoke detector currently in the kitchen to the bedroom and then order a PowerG heat detector to go in the kitchen.