Smart Locks Compatibility & Questions

Looking for practical advice from the forum regarding adding smart locks to my house. Integration with my Qolsys panel would be preferred, but is not 100% dealbreaker.

Ideally this lock would have:
• Nice fit & finish and look as similar to a traditional locks as possible (ie Baldwin Line over the Samsung lock’s space age looks)
• Z-wave over wifi for security reasons
• Proximity Fob over phone/app access -
○ I would prefer no keypad, but this is also not a dealbreaker
○ The Fob or NFC would be used for our kids and grandparents who do not have or phone and/or do not want to deal with an app to operate the lock

Based on my research the Kevo system (from Kwikset & Baldwin) seems most promising, but is not compatible with alarm.com. I hate to add another app and I prefer to limit wifi connectivity for smart home devices.

Are there any z-wave smart locks out there that support a FOB solution for use by kids or a cleaning service that needs to be limited on entry times?

The closest I’m finding with alarm.com compatibility is the August Smart Lock Pro

I’m not a huge fan of the look and it’s a numeric keypad not a proximity fob like the kevo

From a functionality standpoint the Evolved Kevo+ system looks great, but it’s a whole separate app to manage and update outside of alarm.com. Unless I’m missing something Kevo is not supported by Alarm.com

I suppose I could be happy with a z-wave lock with a touchpad and no fob, but I’m wondering if there may be a product I’ve missed.

Are there any z-wave smart locks out there that support a FOB solution for use by kids or a cleaning service that needs to be limited on entry times?

In general this is not going to be an option with compatible locks. Proximity unlocking is largely a feature of Bluetooth locks when it comes to home models, which aren’t compatible, and I would recommend against using this for security. Bluetooth proximity has a habit of being unreliable.

When you consider dedicated proximity cards or fobs these are typical options for commercial access control systems, but not battery operated wireless locks for a home, at least I am not aware of any.

Locks compatible with Alarm.com are listed on this page.

Baldwin are not an officially supported model and aren’t listed as compatible with any panel.

Baldwin is a kwikset company, and my understanding is that their smart locks are equivalent to the kwikset options whether that is their z-wave options or the evolved options that utilize Kevo+.

Am I correct that Kevo+ is a separate offering from kwikset and is not supported in any way by alarm.com?

1 Like

Am I correct that Kevo+ is a separate offering from kwikset and is not supported in any way by alarm.com?

Correct, Kevo locks are not supported.

Supported models are found here.