Smart Lock Functionality- Schlage Encode Plus

Exploring smart lock functionality, and of the supported alarm.com locks & am leaning towards the Schlage Encode Plus Encode Plus

Based on the functionality regarding alarm.com functionality as well as NFC lock/unlock feature.

Am I sacrificing anything important in regards to alarm.com functionality by choosing this wifi integration route vs a z-wave option? I get that batteries will likely need to be swapped more often, but is there a closer integration or other benefit to z-wave locks with the alarm.com ecosystem.

The Schlage Encode Plus is not a compatible lock. I believe that is the BE499.

The older Schlage Encode is supported, BE489.

In general when using a Z-wave lock your automation rules are processing locally at the panel and do not require cloud computation. Your wifi can be down and the lock would still perform automation normally. Local automation rules are unaffected by sensor activity monitoring reporting delays. Cloud automation based on sensor activity is, etc.

My goal here was to allow for some type of alarm.com integration while also having access to a lock that allowed for an NFC tag/phone unlock.

I thought I found documentation the encode plus was supported, but may have confused the two. Are there any other options out that both integrate with alarm.com as well as a phone or NFC tag unlock.

From a functionality standpoint it would be nice to be able to go to one alarm.com app to:

1. Disarm the alarm
  2. Unlock the door
  3. Open the garage

If encode plus is incompatible it seems like that we’re removing the door lock from the alarm.com ecosystem and using a level lock OR encode plus to all for NFC/keytag unlocking.

Devices officially supported by Alarm.com are listed on this page.

Of those, I believe the Alfred ML2 Z-wave might also have prox reader capability, based on their website.

Thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole. Alfred does seem like a possible solution.

I reached out to their technical support on their website. Their product line is confusing and have several overlapping models. It sounds like the DB-2 OR DB2-S are the best options to replace a deadbolt. The ML-2 is only compatible with mortise locks.

Deadbolt Options (DB-2 keyless, DB2-B keyed, DB2-Slim keyed, rechargeable etc)
A few takeaways from my chat for any other customers exploring this:

• Supports alarm.com as long as you have the z-wave module
  • DB2 series supports RFID Tags (milfare1 standard)
  • Supports “one touch” opening, but your iphone or android phone must be running the alfred app at all times with geofencing enabled… (basically the lock reads your phones bluetooth status as newly arrived home only if you left the area and then returned after a set period of time)
    — this is probably not quite as secure as the apple home kit standard, not sure how schlage and other smart lock companies manage this

Cons

• Requires constant running app for phone “one touch” and geofencing
  • Requires additional holes in the door above your deadbolt to manage the door sensor and a security door post (these are optional)

ML-2 (for mortise locks)

• to new… tech support directed me to their sales team
  • could not answer compatibility questions regarding which mortise locks it supports
  • installation manual lists some manufacturer’s, but manual references adapters and does not supply enough information

Alfred Manuals Page:
https://alfredlocks.com/downloads/