Skybell Delay (Non-ADC Question)

I apologize for posting off topic, but I believe there are a number of other folks on here who are also using Skybell video doorbell. I have a Skybell HD that has been installed for about 1.5 years. It is NOT accessed via ADC or my 2GIG panel. I use the Skybell native app, both to decrease delay and to avoid having to log into the ADC app every time someone is at the door. In general it works fine. There is a delay when someone approaches the door or rings the bell, but it is usually manageable. If the delivery man or postman moves quick enough, it is often not set off at all. Occasionally, there will be a long delay in the app notification (like 10 to 30 minutes). Lately, the instances of long delay have been getting more frequent, but still intermittent. WiFi and router are good. Bandwidth speed is very good. Any idea on what the problem might be or how I might ameliorate the issue?

As a side note, I have gotten the idea that Skybell has basically stopped updating their product. 2 year ago, it was rated No. 1, above Ring. Now, Skybell is seldom cited in the top 10. Likewise, they have never completed their integration with the Amazon Echo, which Ring and several others have done.

Jim

It is NOT accessed via ADC or my 2GIG panel. I use the Skybell native app, both to decrease delay and to avoid having to log into the ADC app every time someone is at the door

As a note, we’ve not noticed extra latency on the timing of the push notification. It may take an extra couple seconds for that to be generated through ADC, but I don’t have a ton of experience using the Skybell native app.

As far as logging in, if you purposefully keep logged out on your phone this would be a concern. An alternative would be to use the keep me logged in checkbox to have easy access.

To have security on the app in case someone gets hold of your phone you can enable a 4-digit pin code requirement to access the app, as well as biometric fingerprint access if your phone is compatible and has a fingerprint reader. Both of these methods are much quicker than re-entering a username and passcode using the keypad.

If the delivery man or postman moves quick enough, it is often not set off at all.

This is a good observation, and it is a result of how false alarm prevention is implemented. There is a 7 second motion requirement to ensure a human or suspicious activity sets off the motion trigger schedule and not environmental false triggers. This is built into the firmware.

Depending on the angle of the video (which is unfortunately often limited by where the doorbell wire was previously run) motion may not be long enough if the delivery person moves very fast.

Occasionally, there will be a long delay in the app notification (like 10 to 30 minutes). Lately, the instances of long delay have been getting more frequent, but still intermittent.

I cannot speak to differences or issues with the native Skybell app notifications unfortunately.

Note that in general, download speed is not important, the upload speed is the limiting factor for quality video streaming from the camera, and each doorbell cam would ideally have about 1.5 mbps upload to work with. This is in addition to other network devices and cameras. Wireless signal quality can be less than what signal strength might suggest. However, without the Skybell connected to a Surety account we wouldn’t be able to view that data of course. Skybell support may be able to provide these details, and some may be visible in your settings.

What ISP are you using? Is it a cellular based connection, cable?

Also be sure you are on the latest firmware version. I believe Skybell automatically pushes firmware updates still for users of the native app, but it would be good to check.

Jason–

Thanks very much for your response. I did not understand the false alarm prevention protocol. That makes sense.

I am just not comfortable leaving the ADC app as always logged in. Just personal paranoia.

I have Grande fiber. Doing a speed test via WiFi on cell phone standing next to the Skybell, I get an upload speed of 203 Mbps.

It appears that the firmware version is 5030, but I cannot seem to find anything on the Skybell site as to what the most current firmware version is.

I have Grande fiber. Doing a speed test via WiFi on cell phone standing next to the Skybell, I get an upload speed of 203 Mbps.

I am jealous. Also unless you have around 200 IP cameras at the location you are probably just fine there :slight_smile:

Wifi signal quality could still be low, but you would see that in the video stream connectivity, not necessarily as a delay to the notification.

It appears that the firmware version is 5030, but I cannot seem to find anything on the Skybell site as to what the most current firmware version is.

As far as I am aware that is indeed the latest version.

I would recommend checking with Skybell support on the 30 minute notification delay. That should not have a different local cause.

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate your help, as always.

I have the same delay issue with the Alarm.com version doorbell. It makes the Alarm.com app useless regarding the doorbell. Wifi and internet are excellent but the doorbell response is crap. I havent found a solution to the doorbell but suspect it is time for alarm.com to become compatible with other doorbells. My patience is running thin and cant sit around on some old technology that is unreliable. My door rings and I get the ring on my phone up to 10 minutes later. Just not acceptible.

I have the same delay issue with the Alarm.com version doorbell. It makes the Alarm.com app useless regarding the doorbell. Wifi and internet are excellent but the doorbell response is crap. I havent found a solution to the doorbell but suspect it is time for alarm.com to become compatible with other doorbells. My patience is running thin and cant sit around on some old technology that is unreliable. My door rings and I get the ring on my phone up to 10 minutes later. Just not acceptible.

I understand frustration, and we are happy to help. It looks like this is a duplicate post though. Please see the post and response here. There are very telling issues with your Skybell’s network connection, and while the Skybell HD model does have very high bandwidth requirements, these can be met with some network adjustments if you want to troubleshoot the existing doorbell. The wifi connection at the Skybell HD on your account is not excellent. It historically reports as very poor compared to what is required.