Sky Bell Not providing Video

Ok I bought a new router did a speed check 850 down 775 up no improvement. So i went and bought an extender and set that up still no improvement. I am out of ideas

It seems like you’ve mostly ruled out the mobile device and doorbell as the problem because you’ve tried multiple of each. Your WIFI speed clearly isn’t an issue. I assume you can see live video from your other Alarm.com cameras on your mobile devices?

You mentioned your previous router was an Asus AC1900. I use a Netgear R7000 (AC1900) at home with the ADC-VDB106 and it’s always worked well. What model is your new router?

This is a tough one. I’d be at the end of my rope if I were you. :frowning_face: Still not sure but we feel like the problem is most likely that the router or ISP is interfering with the live feed.

Do you have any QoS (quality of service) settings enabled in the router? Or SIP ALG enabled? These may cause problems with live streaming. If you can post a screenshot of any steaming, QoS or security setting on your router that might help. Obviously remove any personal info before posting, if you do.

I am dealing with a similar situation. Two android devices–a phone and a tablet–connected to the same wifi network, with the phone also having a mobile data connection. I can stream SkyBell video just fine from the tablet and it fires up rather quickly. But the phone will not connect, whether it’s on mobile data or wifi.

For additional context, SkyBell streaming worked very well across all devices when I first installed the SkyBell two years ago. It has become less reliable but hard to pinpoint why, as I’ve made several changes to the network and added a host of additional wireless clients.

This morning I moved an access point within 5 feet of the SkyBell to improve signal strength. Since doing that, the tablet appears to be streaming flawlessly, but absolutely no connection from the phone. So it appears there is something else going on here.

The phone is running Android 10 with mobile service from Google Fi.

The tablet is running Android 8.1.

What model of phone are you using?

When did this problem start where the phone could not connect at all?

Phone is a Pixel 2. Intermittent connection issues have been going on for months now, hence my decision to relocate an AP closer to the SkyBell. I’m not exactly sure when the total connection failure started. I probably didn’t notice it until now because the tablet’s improved connectability with the AP relocation makes is very noticeable.

I had mine plugged into USB power sitting next to the router on the shelf to no avail I have given up for now

I don’t have a Pixel 2 here, but I do have a Pixel 3 on Android 10 and a Skybell VDB-105 with the latest firmware (same as yours) and I cannot replicate this.

What version of the Alarm.com App are you running?

Also, do you have any parental control apps running on the phone?

App is 4.10.9. I do have parental controls set up for my child’s Google account (this appears under settings), but there is no separate app running for that. It’s just a login restriction for my child’s gmail account.

Just to be thorough, could you turn off mobile data, make sure wifi is connected, wait a couple minutes, then try accessing the video feed again?

Any change? Or same as before?

No change. Phone won’t connect; tablet streams fine.

To verify, this is with mobile data turned off, not just wifi turned on?

This is important as another user has reported that using Google Fi they were able to view Live video with mobile LTE data turned off. (and would explain why the tablet works fine)

Confirmed. In my case, I have tried this with LTE off/wifi on, LTE on/wifi off, and well as both on. The phone will not connect. I also just tried streaming from the tablet while tethered to the phone’s LTE, and the tablet still streams successfully.

Can you check the permissions that are enabled for the ADC app? Is microphone listed?

Yes, location, microphone, and physical activity are allowed.

Thank you for your responses! I am updating ADC with all of this info and checking on issues reported directly to Skybell to see if I can find a cause here.

We have a handful of reports of a similar issue, including one in another thread with a Pixel 2 and Google Fi, but with different responses to troubleshooting, so it has been hard to establish a pattern. I appreciate the replies to the testing.

I will follow up here shortly with suggestions and info from ADC.

In the meantime if you notice any difference in activity please let us know!

Just in case it is needed, what model of tablet are you using which is working to view video?

Pixel C tablet

Think I figured it out… It appears to be the Google FI VPN. I turned off the VPN after reading the other thread about the HD SkyBell and now my phone is streaming video. Based on my earlier tests, this leads me to believe that the VPN is also filtering wifi data on the phone, but does not work in tethering mode. So I would recommend all Google Fi users shut off the VPN and see if they are able to get the video feed.

3 Likes

You are an absolute genius. Give your self 5 bonus points it works !!!

Thank you for confirming, yes that’s what it appeared to be in the other thread. I’m glad to hear this has a workable fix! I’ll have ADC look into why this happens, but it may be out of Skybell’s hands. I’ll follow up here with all feedback!