Siren troubles

I’m experiencing two issues with sirens.

First is I’m running two Honeywell piezo sounders off the siren output of a DSC PG9WLSHW8 in the basement in series on two levels. They are well under the draw limit combined. I’m running the EOL resistor at the last piezo. Pulling the resistor does not trigger a tamper ecen though it’s programmed to do so.

Second, I’m running another DSC PG9WLSHW8 in the garage. I run another Honeywell piezo inside the garage on the siren output and a WBox wired siren strobe on a Altronix 6062 time delay relay set for 45 seconds delay with appropriate power supply and backup battery. Siren strobe works fine on burglary alarm but does not work at all for fire/CO alarm. I suspect that this is due to the siren output pulsing for the different tone never running down the 6062’s delay triggering the relay. Any work around there? Second latching relay perhaps?

I knkw that second is kinda complex, but thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can lend.

For #1, what is the model number of the Honeywell sounders? How long did you have the resistor disconnected?

For #2, you are likely right, the delay is likely resetting from the pulse. I can’t give recommendations for specific products if a second latching relay is used, but as long as 50ma is sufficient for the delay relay another option to resolve this may just be using a PGM instead of the Bell output. See PGM programming in the guide below.

They are Honeywell Wave 2 PD’s. Doesn’t matter how long I pull the resistor. Tried leaving it out for minutes and no difference. Works fine if I use it in the fist sounder but not the second.

That’s a good idea, I’ll poke around and figure what I need to make that work. Thank you.

Can you post a photo of how you are wiring the resistor at the second sounder?

Do the sounders both function as expected otherwise?

Yes sir, here you are. The surens function normally and are tested regularly

How is the transition from first siren to the second one wired? You say it works if wired to the first siren in the circuit, right?

That sounds like the resistor can’t be wired in parallel at the second spot or possibly the natural resistance is high already. Would you mind describing/drawing the circuit?

Welp, there is a PG W2W in one room. Sirens are wired into the siren output of W2W. First siren is about 6’ away. Second cable run is about 15’ total, goes through a couple joists and then up the inside of a wall to second siren. Cabling is Genesis 18/2 unshielded.

Siren outputs
W2W + W2W -
to to
Piezo 1+ Piezo 1-
to. to
Piezo 2+ Piezo 2-

EOL resistor across piezo 2 +&-

And sorry, don’t know why I said they’re in series, they’re parallel.

Just to confirm so we are on the same page, you have daisy-chained those right? It sounds like that, just want to be 100% that it is not two separate cables back to the translator.

Can you test the resistance with a multimeter/ohmmeter of that circuit from the translator end with the resistor at the end (2nd siren)?

Yes sir, that is correct. One cable daisy chained two identical piezo sirens

Tested resistance across W2W vell contacts and resistance is zero. Tested at first suren across contacts, also zero. Tested meter on a resistor and it is working properly.

Tested resistance across W2W vell contacts and resistance is zero

Apologies, I should have specified, the circuit needs to be tested with the wires removed from the Translator. Unplug the circuit from the Bell terminals, then test between the wires.

. 990k

There is no functional reason I can think of based on what was reported that it would be behaving like that. Unless that resistance reading is without the resistor, it should function the same either way.

As a test you might try removing that first siren from the equation and just splice the wires together temporarily. If the second siren is the only one on the circuit does it work as expected?

So, splicing the wires and pulling the resistor upstairs in the second siren triggers the tamper.

Interestingly disconnecting the cable to the second siren does not trigger a tamper if the first siren is connected. Just having the first siren seems to have enough resistance to make the panel think a resistor is present. I’m starting to think this particular Honeywell PD is defective.

Another test would be to swap the location of the two sirens to see if the same occurs.