Shipping for a yard sign?

I was looking at getting a yard sign only - no stake - and the store said it would be $16-17 USPS shipping? Is this right?
It just seems a flat sign could ship much cheaper than that.

I was looking at getting a yard sign only – no stake – and the store said it would be $16-17 USPS shipping? Is this right?

That is odd. It may be defaulting to large flat rate.

The dimensions of the sign are given as 10’x10’. The weight is less than 1 lb. They can package it themselves, and mail a 1 lb priority mail 2day package anywhere in the continental US for around $6 or so.

Flat rate shipping only makes sense if there is significant weight (up to 70lbs).

The sign is so light, they could probably put it in a large padded envelope from Walmart (or anywhere you can get mailers and packaging supplies), and mail it regular USPS mail with a few dollars in postage stamps, and do it even cheaper than priority.

Our current setup doesn’t work well for shipping only a yard sign. Yard signs are 10x10 inches and the largest flat rate envelope is only 9.5 inches. We’ve only been using USPS for flat rate shipping so it forces it into a larger flat rate box. It hasn’t been a big issue because most yard signs are ordered as part of a larger shipment so it works out. We can look into supporting other shipping methods to help in this case.

Thank you, I appreciate it, just let me know what you need, or I can call in.

Is there a solution for this? I just added a yardsign and stake to my cart and the shipping still showed $20. Can’t justify $20 shipping for a $2 yard sign.

Stakes will always add cost unfortunately as they must be shipped in separate packaging. Using a stake from a local hardware store is typically the best solution unless a lot of other equipment is also being purchased for shipment.

USPS options are typically better for signs (and options have been updated since the previous posts in this thread).

$11 for 3’ aluminum post at Home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-36-in-x-3-4-in-x-1-16-in-Aluminum-Square-Tube-801287/204274003