Sewer Pump Alarm

I have a Qolsys IQ Panel 2, with many of the associated sensors and switches installed in my home. I have been very pleased with it. I previously had a 2GIG panel.

I recently had some issues with my sewage drain line backing up and wound up getting a sewer lift pump and associated controller installed. The whole process was painful and expensive but that is a whole different story. The controller is a SJE Rhombus Model 112. It has an alarm that goes off when the pump fails and the highest float switch in the pit is actuated. There is a very loud buzzer on the controller associated with the alarm so I really hope this never happens in the middle of the night and wakes up any neighbors.

As it was being installed, I noticed that the controller has a typical Form C contact (one NC & one NO on the same common) to trigger external alarms. Realizing that I wanted to be able to trigger the Qolsys panel, I began looking into options. What I wound up going with was an IQ flood sensor (QS5536-840). I already had several installed near in bathrooms and near drains. Opening up the sensor I was able to de-terminate the existing flood conductor and terminate a two conductor cable that goes to the normally open alarm contact on the pump controller.

I tested it today by putting the controller in test alarm mode and it triggered the sensor and panel and alerted my phone. It will be nice to know I will be notified if there is a pump issue while I am away from the house.

I’m sure there there are other options, but I thought I would share as this is what worked for me. I figured a flood sensor notification was a good option as if the pump fails then the pit begins to flood and it could back up into basement if prompt action is not taken.

Cheers.

1 Like

Good work. I have done something similar. By using a 4 channel relay I was able to replicate the flood alarm trigger aux to more than one device. One of the devices is the sensor for a Moen Flo so that when the sewage pump fails and the level is rising the water to the house is shut off limiting the flood potential. So if the basement shower is still running and someone is in the shower unable to hear the alarm the water will shut off. I have another Zigbee sensor going to Hubitat.

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve also got a lift station, but fortunately it’s for gray water only, so isn’t as critical as yours.

I’ll look into doing this for mine as well.