Set off my first false alarm this morning

So I was leaving for work this morning and I had tapped the quick exit button like I have been since I set it up. First odd thing that happened was instead of going to the countdown, it asked for my passcode. So I input it, it disarmed and I set it arm stay again. I tapped quick exit again and this time, the second odd thing that happens is it started counting down from 30 seconds but my memory is telling me it’s typically 120. Anyway, I step outside and close my door and go to lock the doors deadbolt when all of a sudden the alarm starts going off. I drop my keys in a panic and now I’m thinking I’m not going to be able to get back inside to disarm it fast enough so I go to my app and I see this option in the app that says “verify alarm” and it has a countdown (it also woke my wife up and she sprinted to the panel to disarm it). I held it down thinking it wanted to verify that the alarm was set off by me but now I’m thinking it had the opposite effect and that’s why the police were sent to my house. 5-10 minutes go by and now my wife is calling me telling me the cops are at our front door.

Sorry for the long winded thread but my questions are:

1. why would my quick exit time randomly change from 120 seconds to 30.
  2. once I closed my door, I never reopened the door that set off the alarm (I have an iq mini on this door) I slightly tugged on it to get the dead bolt to line up which I’ve done in the past with no issues
  3. did I miss interpret the “verify alarm” notification in the ADC app?
  4. does central monitoring not call you when an alarm is set off before calling the police?
  5. what are some best practices I can do in the future to prevent this from happening in the future

Looking at your history, quick exit was never triggered.

The 30 second countdown you reference is the Entry delay, waiting for your password to be entered. Did the door get opened before trying to press the quick exit option? Or around the same time? That is what it looks like in history.

The panel went into entry delay and then at the end of entry delay the alarm occurred. This was still in the dialer delay period so the signal hadn’t gone to the monitoring station yet, but in the Alarm.com app the Verify Alarm button was pressed.

did I miss interpret the “verify alarm” notification in the ADC app?

Yes. Verify means you are verifying that there is intrusion. This sends a signal to the monitoring station indicating that a genuine alarm has been confirmed, meaning police response is needed.

Use the “Cancel” option of Cancel/Verify in the Alarm.com app if dispatch is not needed.

If you press Verify in the app, that tells operators you need help and they are not going to call before dispatching.

Thanks for the response Jason. The door wasn’t opened during my 1st attempt at quick exit and after I disarmed it and re-armed armed stay and hit quick exit and went out my door almost immediately after. That’s the best I can remember how the events unfolded but it was 4 in the morning so I could be remembering it differently.

Do you have a photo of what the cancel/verify button looks like in the app so if it ever happens again I know what to look for?

Also, if I had never used the verify button incorrectly and the time ran out, would operators have called me then?

Yes, if the alarm continued past the dialer delay period and you did not press the cancel or verify buttons, operators would call.

Again, thanks Jason. And just to clarify, the dialer delay period is that 2 minutes after the alarm is triggered?

By default dialer delay is 30 seconds. Read about dialer delay, what it is, and how to adjust it here: