Service plan and equipment questions

So after doing some research for DIY alarm systems I think I am pretty much set on a 2GIG panel with Honeywell 58xx sensors.

I appreciate all the info available on Suretydiy’s forum, but there’s some questions that I cannot find answers to here regarding the monitoring service:

• How easy is it to change from a self-monitored plan to the equivalent centrally monitored one? -- While I understand that the system can be put in "Test Mode" for up to 72 hours, I'd like to do self monitoring for a while to make sure the cat doesn't trip any motion sensors and then later upgrade to a centrally monitored plan...
  • I cannot see that mentioned in the plan description, but does Suretydiy currently charge an activation fee? -- There are some places on the web site that indicate that there has been a 19.95 activation fee at some point, but it doesn't say so currently on the plan overview page. Makes me wonder if that is an old policy and whether activation fees are generally waived now?
  • Do Suretydiy monitoring plans also include OTA firmware updates for 2GIG panels? -- If not, is there a way to get updates in other ways?

As for 2GIG equipment: If I don’t care about WiFi connectivity, a larger touch screen or the increased number of sensors supported, is there any reason why I’d want a GC3 panel instead the older GC2 + the 900MHz radio?

thanks,

red_smurf
How easy is it to change from a self-monitored plan to the equivalent centrally monitored one? — While I understand that the system can be put in “Test Mode” for up to 72 hours, I’d like to do self monitoring for a while to make sure the cat doesn’t trip any motion sensors and then later upgrade to a centrally monitored plan

It’s month to month service through suretyDIY, so changes can be made at any time. To add central station monitoring, you would just need to email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and request it.

I cannot see that mentioned in the plan description, but does Suretydiy currently charge an activation fee? — There are some places on the web site that indicate that there has been a 19.95 activation fee at some point, but it doesn’t say so currently on the plan overview page. Makes me wonder if that is an old policy and whether activation fees are generally waived now?

There are currently no activation fees.

Do Suretydiy monitoring plans also include OTA firmware updates for 2GIG panels? — If not, is there a way to get updates in other ways?

Firmware OTA updates have an associated data cost, given their size, and we generally discourage using them. Using the update cable and free download of the software is a more controlled and quicker way of updating.

As for 2GIG equipment: If I don’t care about WiFi connectivity, a larger touch screen or the increased number of sensors supported, is there any reason why I’d want a GC3 panel instead the older GC2 + the 900MHz radio?

Well, we aren’t about pushy sales here, so this would be preference. The GC3 is brand new, just released, with some catching up to do with regard to peripherals like secondary keypads and automation. It will likely exceed the GC2 in that regard at some point, though 2GIG is not stopping support for the GC2 any time soon. GC3 is not meant as a replacement, but a “high end” version.

Happy to answer questions. Let me tackle a few as they’re asked-

How easy is it to change from a self-monitored plan to the equivalent centrally monitored one? — While I understand that the system can be put in “Test Mode” for up to 72 hours, I’d like to do self monitoring for a while to make sure the cat doesn’t trip any motion sensors and then later upgrade to a centrally monitored plan…

Our service is month to month only, so there are no long term requirements to keep the service you order initially. You can add and remove features fairly easily as a result. Do keep in mind though that months are no prorated once they begin. When an account with central station service is set up the central station test mode is initially set for one week and can be adjusted as needed. If you order service without CS monitoring and choose to add it later, email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and they can assist you on making the change.

I cannot see that mentioned in the plan description, but does Suretydiy currently charge an activation fee? — There are some places on the web site that indicate that there has been a 19.95 activation fee at some point, but it doesn’t say so currently on the plan overview page. Makes me wonder if that is an old policy and whether activation fees are generally waived now?

Activation fees are currently being waived. Current pricing for packages, along with included features, and add ons are shown here.

Do Suretydiy monitoring plans also include OTA firmware updates for 2GIG panels? — If not, is there a way to get updates in other ways?

This post has information on the options for updating firmware.

Its all personal preference. But it sounds like you have done your homework on the systems, so I assume that there is not a reason you would need the GC3. Keep in mind it is meant to be a higher level option, but it has very recently been released and is less tested.

Jason, Amanda,

Wow, thanks for these extremely quick and informative replies!

The firmware update cable is a great option. Also keeps you in control when/if you want to install a particular update.

red_smurf

Besides the easy firmware upgrade, I went with GC3 because it will have built in Wi-Fi. If you go GC2 you have to buy a bridge (more wires, plugs, space, etc.). By the time you get the panel and two additional parts for Wi-Fi, it costs just a little bit more for the GC3.