Sensors Dropping Offline

So I have had random sensors having drop offline issues for about a year now, any after a while they always return, but yesterday was a really bad one. Usually I only have maybe one sensor a day drop and come back… yesterday was a bunch. These sensors run the gambit of door/window, motion and glass break sensors, all either GE or Qoylsis. All of which have been dropping more frequently lately. Some of the sensors are within 20 ft, open air of the panel and are missing checkins. Im starting to get concerned that my IQ2 panel is overloaded, or just has a problem.

I never had this problem with my old panel. My home airwaves are a bit crowded between wifi, zwave and all the sensors, but this seems beyond normal. I’ve even had a sensor that is 3 ft away from the panel miss check-ins.

Any suggestions? Im considering the RE524x, bit it doesnt seem to support the GE motion sensors?

The IQ Panel 2 has a thin white sensor antenna that should be routed out the back of the panel housing, and if it is wall mounted, the antenna should go in the wall behind the panel.

If that antenna is bunched up/pinched inside the panel housing you can have a lot of sensor signaling issues. Given your description this is the first thing I would check as it sounds likely.

If the antenna is not pinched and is properly routed out the back of the panel, reboot the panel (Settings > Advanced Settings > Reboot Panel). Any difference in operation after that?

Thanks Jason. I actually have the wire routed up and out above the panel in hopes of making the signal better instead of incasing it in drywall (see pic). The panel is actually mounted with 3m velcro so the cable isnt being pinched (and so i can avoid holes) Do you think i would be better off dropping into the wall?

I’ll try a panel reboot to see if it helps.

Is that routed out through the antenna hole? (there is a hole in the back plate just behind the antenna.) And it is not mounted flush to the wall? The white cable is loose behind the plate and not pressed against the wall anywhere?

I would try letting that antenna hang down below the panel as a test, instead of routing it up behind the panel. Not a permanent change, but it will be more similar to antenna positioning in the wall.

so its coming out the same hole it came from the factory out of, but it doesnt look antenna specific, its coming out one of the 3 “vent” holes on the lower portion of the back panel

I dropped it down the back instead of up and out and rebooted… ill see what happens. Not nearly as clean looking right now… but if it works, it work.

Ok, that’ll be a good test. If there are still issues let me know.

FYI, is that a kitchen or laundry room? Is there any large source of metal close by the panel?

Its the kitchen. Fridge about 10 feet away… toaster 5-6" and air fryer 2-3"… but some of the sensors that drop fairly routinely have clear line of sight from the panel to the sensor. The ones i would expect the appliances to create a problem for rarely actually have an issue.