sensor names

i changed the name of a sensor in the installer toolbox yesterday, but the name still shows the old name on ADC. why is that?

Once a sensor is already found by Alarm.com, there can be a delay to sensor name updates on the panel. You can usually force a sync with a cell phone test at the panel.

Has the name updated on ADC at this time?

Very sorry about the duplicate post–I couldn’t find the original and thought maybe I had typed it but hadn’t submitted.

Actually I just checked and the sensor name has now changed on ADC, but it hadn’t as of a couple hours ago, so it took almost two days. Is that to be expected?

There would be no expected time-frame. Generally it shouldn’t take long for the panel to update ADC, and if there is a delay usually a cell phone test will spur the change.

However, if you notice that the name is not syncing, it can be changed manually on the Sensors page in Alarm.com.

i edited my zone names again, now 3 days ago. the name changes have still not appeared on ADC app or online. i did run a cell phone test a couple times as you suggested. i understand i can change the names manually on ADC, but i’d prefer to let things sync…why would they not be syncing?

We ran a sensor names request and it looks like those have updated.

Aha, I see what you are referring to here. The sensors already have a custom name in the panel that has synced with ADC. If they are just generic names in ADC (Contact 1, etc.) and you update the panel, you may notice a delay but name changes should sync. If you are changing individual sensor names for sensors which have already synced once, the name should not change again (this is to avoid it automatically overriding a custom name which might be added in Alarm.com, since Alarm.com names can be more specific and custom than 2GIG Panel names which are limited to a selection of words.) That is unless a sensor name request is made by your provider.

In general, you’ll want to just change the name in ADC to match when you make a name change to a pre-existing zone.

Ok got it. So if I change the sensor names in the panel, I need to request you to initiate a sync with ADC? (I understand your explanation of why it doesn’t sync automatically.)

The names in ADC were updated this morning when I looked–I assume that was do to you initiating a sync?

No, you would not need to request a sync each time. The Alarm.com names can be changed at any time by going to the Sensors Page when logged into Alarm.com. This will not affect any signals being sent from your panel to ADC. The names in Alarm.com only affect what you see them labeled as in Alarm.com and in notifications.

The names in ADC were updated this morning when I looked–I assume that was do to you initiating a sync?

“We ran a sensor names request and it looks like those have updated.” Yes, that command was sent this morning it looks like.