Sensor adding, barely any are working

I’m setting up my Qolsys IQ Panel 4 (in setup wizard) and I’m adding IQ Micro sensors. Out of 5 so far, only 2 of them actually seem to be connected/operating with the panel. One of them was recognized by the “smart” sensing (didn’t have to scan QR), and the rest of the 4 I had to scan with QR. Only one of those 4 is actually triggering a response when I open/close it.

My sequence is:

1. In the sensor-add prompt, click Start
  2. Remove battery tab from sensor
  3. Put the sensor pieces together with the arrow matching, and then pull them apart
  4. If that doesn’t work, “tamper” it by removing the cover of the device
  5. Failing all that, scan the QR and add it in manually
  6. When I try to “open and close” the sensor after adding manually with QR, it’s not recognizing anything happening

So basically the majority (so far) are not adding.

Am I doing something wrong?

As an update, for the most part if I open the sensors and remove the battery, then re-insert and re-seat it, they are working. Some still aren’t… though I’ll try again in a bit.

So another update (talking to myself here :joy:) the ones that weren’t working, I removed the battery (even though these are brand new) for a little while, some of them a few times I did this, and finally they all started registering. Not sure why it was so difficult. Hopefully this doesn’t mean the batteries are nearly dead!

Generally speaking I recommend programming sensors within the Installation menu by auto-learn one by one rather than QR code. The process helps verify each sensor is working up front.

Here are the steps to program the sensors out of the wizard:

Typically to auto-learn, tampering that sensor is the recommended step while the panel is listening for a sensor.

Not sure why it was so difficult. Hopefully this doesn’t mean the batteries are nearly dead!

Not likely, but we do not carry the Micro DW S-line sensors, so for any sensors purchased from other vendors I would not be able to speak to sensor age, etc.

You probably would have noticed this, but a somewhat common but hard to diagnose issue I have seen is that some models/production runs have a very tight battery tab, or one made from a thinner plastic or paper material, where you can pull on the tab and tear it instead of pulling it completely free, leaving a torn piece inside wedged between the battery and the terminal.

Are you having any continued issues or are those sensors communicating fine now?

Thanks for the detailed reply!
The tabs on my sensors were a pretty hefty plasticy-paper material, so they came out whole. Eventually all the sensors ended up working and seem to all still be communicating fine. It almost seems like it just took some number of minutes for each sensor to “warm up” after pulling out the battery tabs for some reason? Seems extremely odd, but for the sensors that weren’t working to start, after somewhere between 5 - 30 minutes each one started to work (some of them after taking the battery out for a while and then putting it back in).

Not sure why, but I’ll keep an eye on them and make sure they don’t have any further issues.

Thanks!

It almost seems like it just took some number of minutes for each sensor to “warm up” after pulling out the battery tabs for some reason?

This wouldn’t make any sense with how the sensors should work. One other thing that may occur though I have only seen it on a different brand of sensors is dirty terminals or batteries. It’s possible a little smudge of oil, grease, dirt, etc., from the manufacturing facility or battery supplier might cause a problem with the battery connection that removing and reinstalling the battery might help.

The batteries may just be low too. If that is the case I would expect a few offline malfunctions in the future for those sensors as they miss supervision check-ins. If you do not see malfunctions or actual low battery reports you should be fine.

Make sure you are putting the magnet on the side of the sensor with the reed switch. There is a specific position for the magnet on one side of the sensor. It sounds like from your original message you are checking that, but it is another common cause of confusion with mounted sensors not opening.

If any of the problem sensors are mounted to metal surfaces, that can also explain the behavior. It sounded like you did not have them mounted yet, but in case this might apply I wanted to bring it up.

I agree, it wouldn’t make sense logically.

I definitely was aligning the arrows together and I had not yet mounted them.

Yeah, I suppose it’s possible that by removing and reinserting the battery a couple times it removed some residue or something.

So far no sensors have gone offline (Alarm.com will alert me if this happens, right?) but I will keep an eye out for that.

Thanks!

Alarm.com will alert me if this happens, right?

Yes, both the panel and Alarm.com.