Security Kits

Are there more security kits than: https://suretyhome.com/product-category/kits/ ?

i.e. Control Panel, 10+ door sensors, 5+ window sensors, a couple of motion sensors, key chain, backup battery, power supply, a wire, cellular module, etc…

suretyDIY products are offered a la carte to allow individuals to purchase only what they need.

Every security installation is unique. Arbitrarily saying that “this group of 12 items is everything you need” is probably a disservice. We prefer to encourage and assist learning about the products to ensure success for anyone interested in DIY!

Should you be looking to install a brand new system, we’re happy to assist with any questions or suggestions to cover specific needs you might have!

Also keep in mind you are under no obligation to purchase equipment from our website in order to use our service. Compatible equipment found elsewhere or pre-existing in the home can be used with our service.

Do you have any existing security equipment in the home? Or are you looking to install a brand new system?

Every security installation is unique. Arbitrarily saying that “this group of 12 items is everything you need” is probably a disservice

that’s fair.

This is a new system, and I don’t mind to buy it from you, since it comes with a “preprogrammed” benefit, which, theoretically, will be easier to get going for the first time, since you’d know what you sent.

The reason I originally thought “a kit from you”:

Here’s how it works…

Visit-DIY-Store
You buy the equipment from us and select a DIY monitoring package.

But thanks for clarifying that I can but these anywhere.

What I am looking to start with is quite simple really:

• a panel with a backup battery, power supply and a wire
  • several door sensors
  • several window sensors [I would need more info on that]
  • a couple of motion sensors
  • a cellular module
  • at first (besides arm/disarm) the system should be able to control locks
  • later on I’d like to add some inside/outside cameras

Looks like a panel would be GC3, since this is a new system.

1. Do people usually design these “self kits” with you over email?

2. As to window sensors. As far as I understand a window can be opened by breaking the window lock and just opening the window, or by just breaking the glass. In case of breaking the glass “a door like” sensor won’t work, right? Since two parts were not moved. What is the general recommendation for the window sensors?

Do people usually design these “self kits” with you over email?

Typically, system design is handled on the forum where technicians can help you with your design needs, as well as troubleshooting. System Design and troubleshooting questions sent to customerservice@suretyDIY.com will be placed on the forum (with any personal information removed)
by our customer service team.

In case of breaking the glass “a door like” sensor won’t work, right? Since two parts were not moved. What is the general recommendation for the window sensors?

A door/window contact will detect if the window is opened, it will not detect if the glass is broken.

In a scenario such as this, where an intruder is more likely to bypass opening a window and instead, break the glass, one could utilize a glass break sensor in addition to the door/window contact sensor.
An example would be the 2GIG GB1-345. The glass break will be constantly monitoring for the sound of breaking glass.

Yet this isn’t the only route you could take. Depending on your needs/layout and if you have pets, you could employ a motion detector, like the 2GIG PIR1-345, instead. While the glass break detects the sound of breaking glass, the motion detector will detect motion, regardless of how the intruder gets inside.

You could use any combination of the above to detect intrusion and these tools leave you with many options. In terms of designing your system, it all comes down to your needs and the layout of your home.

good point about a motion sensor vs. two sensors for each window, since I would need to buy quite a few pairs of this.

1. The reason I lean towards designing the system over email is mostly “security” (no pun intended :). i.e. I would not like to share my house layout publicly. So is "customerservice@suretyDIY.com" the email I can use to design the system?

2. Would motion detector (2GIG-PIR1-345) detect motion regardless of lighting, i.e. if it is dark? I suspect yes, but would like to confirm.

3. When people break into houses, from your experience/reports/intel, would breaking the glass be more probable scenario or would it be picking a window lock?

The reason I lean towards designing the system over email is mostly “security” (no pun intended :). i.e. I would not like to share my house layout publicly.

I would encourage not to publicly post a layout. suretyDIY technical support is handled through this forum. Information on this can be found in our FAQ.

Typically I would recommend looking into the sensor models you are looking to purchase, checking their specifications, and making sure they will cover what you need. While all very similar in function, motion detectors for example will have varying range capabilities, pet immunity levels, etc. Our support team has extensive experience installing and using these devices, so any questions are welcome.

That said, if you would prefer explicit professional installation of sensors based on an inspection of your home’s layout, I would recommend looking into a local installation company who can provide on-site support, as this will take into consideration things that a layout cannot. DIY is not always the right fit, and we understand that!

Would motion detector (2GIG-PIR1-345) detect motion regardless of lighting, i.e. if it is dark? I suspect yes, but would like to confirm.

As a PIR detector, (passive infrared), the 2GIG-PIR1-345 detects changes in heat signature, not visible light and regardless of light level.

When people break into houses, from your experience/reports/intel, would breaking the glass be more probable scenario or would it be picking a window lock?

Most commonly break-ins occur due to opportunity. The highest percentage are typically through an unlocked door or window. Actual lock-picking is very rare. Concerning windows, a good option if you are looking for the best coverage is to employ a combined window/shock sensor. This video and this one go over our favorite options. A combined window shock sensor typically provides the best coverage because if the window is not open or unlocked, most often force will be used to pry open or break the window. In addition they are highly resistant to false alarm.

A benefit of using a motion detector is that it covers all possible entry methods, though they are more prone to false alarm, especially if pets are involved, and I would not recommend relying on them as the only protection.

I would encourage not to publicly post a layout
DIY is not always the right fit, and we understand that!

DIY is for me. But it is possible to find people addresses knowing minimal information that is available online: i.e. even on this forum. Simple example could be “nick => search => some other forum => linkedin profile => address/phone book” OR even “image search” => “nick” / “name” => “other forum”… These are just a couple of ways.

So by looking at what exact system someone has, a potential intruder can just look on this (or similar) forums, map the address to a person, and just go jam that wifi/cellular signal on knows frequencies… Or go around the house to break into a backdoor, because s/he read that this house has only one door sensor.

Yes, this will mostly apply to a more sophisticated intruder, and these systems are not designed to protect us from all the skill levels. However I would rather minimize the info available that can influence people personally.

So it is not exactly that I don’t want to DIY it. I do. But I’d like to “keep the design of my security system secure”: it only makes sense to do so.

Would that be ok if, once I picked my panel, sensors, cellular module, etc… I email the design to you (customerservice@suretyDIY.com) to polish it up there over email?

a good option if you are looking for the best coverage is to employ a combined window/shock sensor

these are great videos! thank you.

Would that be ok if, once I picked my panel, sensors, cellular module, etc.. I email the design to you (customerservice@suretyDIY.com) to polish it up there over email?

This is not an offered service for overall sensor placement. We do not design the system for the end user because to design a system requires local eyes.

If sensitive information needs to be shared with our team you can of course send a secure message. However, questions regarding specific scenarios where you need assistance should be addressed on the forum and this is where technicians respond. I would urge that it is much more important to know how the devices operate and effectively design your home’s system than be told where to place them if you are going to DIY. (Teach a person to fish…etc.)

I would encourage not to implement a system based on a dimensional layout or general description, as this will only offer more simplistic advice.

As an example: for motion detectors, corner placement offers best coverage as viewing angle is usually around 90 degrees or a little more for standard indoor detectors. However:

• Detectors need line of sight, so large furniture etc. would need addressed as it can block coverage
  • Do you have pets? Pet immunity ignores heat signature based on relative height, so pets with a tendency to jump on furniture may still cause issues. Cats will very commonly cause false alarms regardless of small size.
  • Are there heating vents in the room? Motion detectors should maintain a minimum distance (usually shown in the instructions) from vents, not be placed directly above or in front of them.
  • Is the motion detector proposed placement facing a window? If the view from this window has a low horizon, (no close trees, buildings, etc.) direct sunlight can be a false alarm concern.

With the capabilities in mind, and the manufacturer instructions for height placement, angle, and range, etc., you’ll be able to find the best spot for the detector in the area you are looking to cover.

In general, none of the tricky details to installation should require a layout, but it may require looking at your room and considering based on manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines where best to implement the device, and our technicians are here to assist with any troubles/questions.

In many cases it may be much better to eschew the motion detector altogether for that room (to return to the first post in this thread, a reason why we tend to avoid kits) and stick to window + shock sensors, and placing a motion detector in a natural choke point like a hallway where fewer false alarm hazards are present and where intruders would need to traverse to get further into the home.

Or go around the house to break into a backdoor, because s/he read that this house has only one door sensor.

We would strongly advise not having only one door sensor :wink:

In general, none of the tricky details to installation should require a layout
than be told where to place them

Must be a miscommunication. I did not mean I’d share a floor plan, or will tell you where I am placing sensors. What I mean is sharing the intel about what sensors I have, how many and the level of protection + gotchas (i.e. a sensor that has a know problem) would expose more than I want.

All this data can be exploited by an intruder.

much more important to know how the devices operate and effectively design your home’s system

agreed.

I do appreciate “keeping things open”, since we all can benefit from it by it being available and searchable. But in the field of security there should be some purposely “blur” areas. For example Telegram app is open source, but its backend is not (it is “blur” on purpose).

I understand this will not change the way you guys operate. I am ready to learn more about all the sensors openly here on the forum without disclosing whether I have them or not.

But what I want to see if there is a possibility of me choosing all the sensors, email’ing / secure messaging “the self created kit” to you, so you can approve it in a form of “yes these all will work together, and if you buy it from us we’ll preprogram them for you”.

Must be a miscommunication.
“the self created kit” to you, so you can approve it in a form of “yes these all will work together, and if you buy it from us we’ll preprogram them for you”.

Ahhh, apologies. Yes, if compatibility is a concern, the order process will warn you should you have equipment that is not compatible, and on the store pages you can select the panel you are using from the “Panel Compatibility” drop down menu to select from compatible equipment.

Systems (Panel, communicator, sensors) ordered along with Alarm.com service are pre-programmed and connected to the Alarm.com account prior to shipment. If you start to checkout without service, a reminder notice will link to the service products.

Sensor naming, whether contacts are for doors or windows, etc., is all part of the order process. You of course do not need to discuss these things on the forum. :slight_smile:

ok, looks like “the middle ground” is to choose the kit, and hope for the checkout to confirm the comparability and whether they make sense together.

Then I have a couple of questions:

1. If I order the panel, does it come with:

1.1 a backup battery
1.2 power supply
1.3 wire for the power supply

1. What are the most frequent things people forget to order (from your store) when they buy / build the security system for the first time?
ok, looks like “the middle ground” is to choose the kit, and hope for the checkout to confirm the comparability and whether they make sense together.

Compatibility is addressed for products that have pre-requisites, and large warnings show during checkout should you place incompatible devices in your cart. Should you continue and order incompatible products, you will also receive a reminder email from our team.

If you have individual compatibility concerns, please be sure to ask us here.

The backup battery and power supply for all panels are included by the manufacturer.

Pre-wired cabling is included with all pre-programmed systems. Should you wish to instead mount the panel on a wall in your home, you will possibly need to supply different cable, of course depending on where you mount and plug it in.

What are the most frequent things people forget to order (from your store) when they buy / build the security system for the first time?

If you do not plan to mount the panel to a wall, it might be easy to forget a desktop back-stand. The control panels do not come with one pre-packaged. Here’s one for the Go!Control or GC3. This is the Qolsys stand.

Should you wish to instead mount the panel on a wall in your home, you will possibly need to supply different cable, of course depending on where you mount and plug it in

yes, I’ll mount it on a wall. does it mean I need to get a different cable (different lenght?), do you guys sell various cables so I don’t have to buy it separately?

I’ll mount it on a wall. does it mean I need to get a different cable (different lenght?

Yes. You can often reuse existing security system cables in your home if you have an older system and decide to mount the panel in a prior keypad location, or you can run new cable. It depends where you power and install your panel.

do you guys sell various cables so I don’t have to buy it separately?

No. The length you need would be determined by your installation. You’ll typically want to use 18/2 cable (18AWG, 2 conductor) which can be purchased by the foot at local hardware stores.

fair enough. thank you Jason.