Secondary Controller

I am in the beginning stages of research on secondary controllers. I understand the general concept, devices compatible with my IQ2 and other controller, can be controlled through ADC, devices/features I can’t use with the IQ2 can be added to the secondary controller. However, sensors cannot trigger devices incompatible with IQ2/ADC. Correct?

Issue is, I haven’t seen too many devices I really want or see a need for. So, I don’t want to spend too much on something with little benefit.

I recently saw “Secondary Controller” as an option on my IQ2, so I was wondering if this means I can make the IQ2 a primary. If I can, would I want to?

I have IFTTT but there is little there I find useful. I am against voice controller (puts on tin foil hat) so I guess the questions are, secondary/primary…low cost but useful additional ZW controller options and with my limited interest, should I bother or wait for ADC to add more functionality?

I am in the beginning stages of research on secondary controllers. I understand the general concept, devices compatible with my IQ2 and other controller, can be controlled through ADC, devices/features I can’t use with the IQ2 can be added to the secondary controller. However, sensors cannot trigger devices incompatible with IQ2/ADC. Correct?

The general reason to use another controller (as a primary) is that the other controller would have wider device compatibility than the IQ Panel 2. If you have specific models of Z-wave device you wish to use that are not compatible with the IQ Panel 2, having another controller is an option.

The controller with wider compatibility should typically be the primary controller, as all devices are learned into the primary controller and shared with the secondary.

ADC and ADC rules can only directly affect devices compatible with the IQ Panel 2. Any incompatible devices would be a parallel network. There are ways of relaying between the two networks via a switch, the status of which is monitored and used to activate something incompatible via the other controller.

Issue is, I haven’t seen too many devices I really want or see a need for. So, I don’t want to spend too much on something with little benefit.

If you do not have specific reasons to do so, it is not useful.

Do you have a link for a recommended Switch?

I have seen a few ST Hubs that are $70-ish, which isn’t outrageous to me.The few things I saw that I might add at some point are: a vibration sensor or something for when the washer/dryer is done…I have a power strip Z-Wave thing that can monitor power usage but it cannot be accessed with the IQ2…The devices that can turn off the water main via IQ2 compatible flood sensor I have and …A tie in to the hard-wired smoke alarms.

The only other real wish is using lights as a trigger, which cannot be done in the IQ2.

A $100 isn’t a big investment to me but anything more than that for the options above just don’t seem justifiable. None of them are “must haves”

Do you have a link for a recommended Switch?

A general purpose Z-wave switch which can operate dry contacts or switch voltage is the Mimolite, though it is not officially compatible with the IQ Panel 2.

I am more referring to the state of any Z-wave switch acting as a trigger in another controller. You would just use any switch you have.

Officially compatible Z-wave devices can be found here. Stick to the list for locks and thermostats, but for light switches, most switches will typically work due to their simplicity and lack of differences.

A tie in to the hard-wired smoke alarms

Z-wave cannot be used by the IQ panel to monitor alarms, burg or fire. Look at the Interlogix Firefighter module instead to monitor existing interconnected smokes.