Schlage Z-Wave Lever

I would like to add a z-wave lock to my interior garage access door. I have Schlage locks throughout the house and want to stick to that. It appears my primary choice is this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083GJ17G

My main desire is to be able to lock/unlock it remotely, as well as linking a rule to lock/unlock when my 2gig panel is armed away and disarmed. Will that work? Also, I want the lock/unlock to “stick” when I send it…I think some door knobs will only remain unlocked for a couple of seconds after the command is sent, and if the knob is not turned it will re-lock. When I disarm I want the door to unlock and remain unlocked, without additional interaction.

I will double check for you, but I want to say that model just has a secondary internal latch that disengages temporarily rather than a fully mechanized lock.

Well nevermind, I am told it is is not temporary. The temporary unlock is a feature of BE369 Deadbolt only.

You should be good with the 599. Make sure your 2GIG panel is at the latest firmware to ensure best compatibility with Schlage models.

Well that is good news, thanks Jason! Especially since I already ordered it. I am on 1.13 firmware, so hopefully that is up-to-date.

That is indeed the latest firmware currently.

To follow up, this lock DOES lock/unlock completely remotely. Rules are also available to have it lock with arming the system and unlock with disarming the system. The panel user codes can be allowed to be used on the door keypad through the alarm.com interface.

Also, the levers are interchangeable with other Schlage designs. It is only sold with the “Camelot” style levers, but I had a spare interior handle-set that matches my doors and they swapped over without incident.

This is the lock that appears to be recommended elsewhere on this forum. (Schlage FE599) I’d like to add it to my home system, which is Qolsys IQ2+ and operate it via Alarm.com.

However, I can find very little information about how this lock actually works. (including the Schlage site) What is important to me is that it can be unlocked via Alarm.com, preferably by a rule triggered by a disarm. Or, via a scene.

It is also very important that it auto-relocks, and it would be nice if that feature can be managed relating to the amount of time it remains unlocked.

Some of the other Schlage lever locks have a thumbwheel, which apparently controls whether or not the lock remains unlocked??? This unit seems to have two buttons on the inside, which appear to be the same function? Or, are they?

Just as a note, if auto-relocking is necessary, the FE599 may not be the best fit as I don’t think it has that option locally. The Yale YRL-220 is another compatible option which does have auto-relocking (set at 30 seconds)

Any compatible lock can be set to unlock in scenes where you disarm as well (the best way to perform multiple actions is a scene), and you can automatically disarm by unlocking at the lock, etc.

This unit seems to have two buttons on the inside, which appear to be the same function?

Yes, it just has a lock and unlock push button on the inside rather than a thumb turn.

Thank you, Jason. The Yale lock is nicer-looking, a little more expensive, BUT has many (and I mean MANY) bad reviews. Mostly about installation difficulty (what isn’t these days), poor customer service, poor build quality, quick failures, etc.

Auto-relocking IS the most important factor for me because, without it, certain people will NEVER lock the door. Adjustable timing would be great, but I’ll live with whatever.

I guess a call to Schlage support is in order?

Any compatible lock can be set to unlock in scenes where you disarm as well (the best way to perform multiple actions is a scene), and you can automatically disarm by unlocking at the lock, etc.

Would ‘any compatible lock’ work under a triggered rule in alarm.com? Or, only via scenes?

Example. Rule to unlock when disarmed, and re-lock after 1 minute.

Auto-relocking IS the most important factor for me because, without it, certain people will NEVER lock the door. Adjustable timing would be great, but I’ll live with whatever.

I guess a call to Schlage support is in order?

Apparently the Schlage manual is a little lacking. I’ve seen a lot of mention regarding the FE599 auto-locking but no specific info regarding it in the manual. Looks like Schlage has generic instructions for auto-lock here.

Example. Rule to unlock when disarmed, and re-lock after 1 minute

You cannot set an ADC rule to re-lock a door. The lock itself would need to have an auto-re-lock feature.

Locking and unlocking can be triggered by arming status, yes, but in general it is often better to use a scene if you want to cause many effects as there are very likely times you want to disarm the system without unlocking.

With a rule, any time you disarm (within the time-frame set by the rule) the door would unlock.

With scenes, you can set up one scene that turns down the tstat, unlocks the door, disarms the alarm, turns on the front lights - then set up another that just disarms and turns on lights, etc., and run the one you want each time based on what you need at the time.

You cannot set an ADC rule to re-lock a door. The lock itself would need to have an auto-re-lock feature.

So, what you are saying, it is not like lights where a rule can turn on the light, and then turn it off after a specified time?

Correct.

As an aside, with handle locks like the FE599 it isn’t a big deal, but if you use a deadbolt Z-wave lock I would caution against using auto-relocking options in the deadbolt as it can lead to damage from extended bolts striking the door frame.