Schlage FE599 vs BE468

Now that 2GIG GC3 supports Schlage with the latest “3.02” firmware. Which Schlage lock would you recommend and why?

Also what are the main disadvantages of both these supported models?

Are you looking for a handle replacement or a deadbolt replacement? If you are looking to use Schlage locks it would simply be a matter of your intended purpose, as the two models are for two different applications.

The FE599 is a lever handle lock.

The BE468 is a deadbolt.

If you are trying to decide between the two and are looking for an opinion, the typical applications for remote lock control and alarm system integration align with deadbolts more so than lever locks if you are covering an exterior door. As in, having a keyed deadbolt and a smart handle means that the deadbolt (the more robust lock) would need to be left unlocked to allow someone coded entry, or they would need a key as well, which defeats part of the purpose of smart locks.

Also what are the main disadvantages of both these supported models?

Disadvantages as compared to other Z-wave locks? Not using Z-wave locks? Compared to each other? Would you mind clarifying?

Thanks Warren.

I currently have 3 outside doors in different parts of the house. I do not have smart locks, and I do not have any experience using them. All 3 doors have a quite traditional two lock “systems”: lever on the bottom + deadbolt on the top.

I was waiting for the new GC3 firmware to support Schlage and now I’d like to install smart locks in all 3 doors.

I am not sure whether certain doors need to be more secure than others, since a (smart) intruder would most likely choose the weakest spot anyway. Hence my question about which Schlage locks to settle on.

I do have GC3 (connected to ADT) and door sensors on all these doors, hence I am trying to understand whether it makes sense to consider deadbolts at all, since any kind of entry (regardless whether it is a lever or a deadbolt) will trigger the alarm.

What I like about lever locks is added convenience: you just close the door and it’s locked, where a deadbolt need to be “activated” somehow.

At the same time I don’t want to rely on lever locks in case they are completely insecure.

Since I have never dealt with smart (lever / deadbolt) locks, I’d like to get some guidance on which one(s) would suit me better.

In general, for the purpose of security and if the door has a deadbolt or you intend to add a deadbolt, I would always recommend a deadbolt smart lock.

The only circumstance I would recommend using a lever for a home environment is if the door does not have a deadbolt and you do not intend to add one.

What I like about lever locks is added convenience: you just close the door and it’s locked, where a deadbolt need to be “activated” somehow.

This is true but if you also have a deadbolt on the door then most of the other functional benefits are gone if you intend to lock the deadbolt.

Most Z-wave deadbolts can auto-lock after a period of time, though I very strongly recommend never using this feature as it can cause damage to the lock and door frame since the bolt extends at the time limit whether the door is shut or not, and the person at the door may not have noticed.

Warren, thank you for your response, somehow I missed the notification about it earlier.

I will try one FE599 with a manual deadbolt that I already have. The idea is to use the deadbolt when needed, and rely on FE599 other times: i.e. someone will need to enter the house at the known time, I can create a code for them vs. leaving a key under the mat.

I agree that deadbolt is safer and I have more doors, for which BE468 would probably make more sense.

I created a different thread with more questions about FE599.