Schlage door lock with RE524X - not working

Hi. I have a 2GIG system that was installed in my house when I built it. I built a shop about 150 feet from the house and wanted to add a Schlage door lock. I have several on the house and they work well. I have added the door lock to the panel and it communicated fine until I installed it out in the shop. I feel the distance is too far.

I tried an Aeon Labs extender without any luck. It communicates to the panel, but not with the Schlage. So I decided to buy the RE524X Translator. I was able to enroll the translator to the panel (GC2). But I cannot get the Schalge to communicate. Do I need to re-enroll the Schlage since it has been in a malfunction state since I installed it? Is there something I am missing? I am fairly new to this…but I am also pretty technical.

Any help would be great. Thank you!

The RE524X repeats a selected wireless RF frequency, but not Z-wave. It does not communicate via Z-wave in any way and will not improve a Z-wave network signal.

150 feet is definitely too far for Z-wave, unfortunately. Only AC powered Z-wave repeating devices will improve the signal, but you would likely need multiple, fairly evenly spaced in between the lock and the panel at that range, and I am guessing that is not possible given the description.

Also, if the shop uses a metal door or metal siding/walls that will very heavily affect the signal.

Z-wave, unlike security sensor RF, is a mesh network with limited individual range. AC powered nodes like light switches and plug-in modules act as repeaters and extend the range based on where they are located.

For general Z-wave installation tips, please see this page.

Gotcha…so that is what I was missing. The RE2524X doesn’t do what I thought.

It will however take an RF signal and translate it to the 2GIG panel, correct? If so, do you know of an RF door lock that might work?

Thank you!

It will however take an RF signal and translate it to the 2GIG panel, correct? If so, do you know of an RF door lock that might work?

The panel’s security sensor RF frequency, in the case of 2GIG, 345 Mhz, is used for sensors only. There are no door locks which would function that way.