Samsung Cameras

Is it possible to use this Samsung HD Camera System With my system if I buy the alarm.com SVR or the 4-Channel Video Server (ADC-VS420)

The Alarm.com video servers take standard definition analog video inputs. You could use an analog camera system like that with an Alarm.com video server as long as the cameras or the DVR have standard definition outputs in addition to the high definition outputs but you would only be recording standard definition video on Alarm.com. The only way to record high definition video on Alarm.com is to use a Alarm.com cameras.

So what’s the best way to go about adding outdoor cameras? I’d also like to view them on my tvs and was thinking I could only do that if I have something like the Samsung. I also want the footage to be recorded outside for at least a day or more if possible incase something comes up.

So what’s the best way to go about adding outdoor cameras...also want the footage to be recorded outside for at least a day or more if possible incase something comes up.

Get the wired Samsung cameras, and 4 channel NVR locally on LAN

Or

Get vivotek outdoor cams and NVR and do it locally on your LAN

OR

Get the ADC V721w/V720/V720w and the ADC-SVR, and a ADC cloud video plan (4 channels Per SVR)

In both the above Vivotek/ADC options, the camera hardware is the same. First/Second option is if you like total control without subscription. Third option is ideal if you are in over your head, have no idea how to configure and secure a surveillance network, and want it easy and simple, or want to tie surveillance system into your existing ADC security system, and don’t mind paying a monthly subscription of $10-$15)

Initial cost is approx. $250 per ADC outdoor Cam, plus $500 for the ADC SVR

As for ADC cameras on TV… you will need the Firetv HDMI stick

– Home-automation service provider Alarm.com is using Amazon’s FireTV settop box and FireTV HDMI stick to display HD video from up to four security cameras at a time on a TV screen. Consumers must download an Alarm.com app to their FireTV device to view the streams, which can be selected from the Fire TV remote. The remote also adjusts camera angles.

http://www.alarm.com/productservices/apps.aspx#amazon-fire-stick

http://www.alarm.com/about/press/PressGeneric.aspx?cmid=194

Riven - What is the NVR you refer to in option 1 and 2? Also, if I was to buy an alarm.com camera (V721w/V720/V720w), why do I need the ADC-SVR? Would those not work like my ADC-V520IR?

Also, with option 1 and 2, would I be able to view the videos on the alarm.com iphone app like my V520IR? If so, would it record events like the V520IR can?

An NVR is a video recorder (networked camera video recorder)

You would get the SVR (streaming video recorder, basically same as an NVR), in order to record the continuous alarm.com camera feeds, isn’t that what you wanted? To record video camera footage for 24 hours (or more) you need a network video recorder.

want the footage to be recorded outside for at least a day or more if possible incase something comes up.

and no. You cannot view the Samsung/Vivotek feeds on alarm.com. VIVOTEK has its own software you would use to remotely view the feeds on mobile device. As for Samsung, no clue.

Your best bet to accomplish what you want to do is with option 3.

I’m versed in networking outside of home security. I’m a web developer. You’re correct about wanting to view for 24 hours. If I decided to not need the footage for 24 hours, could I just go with the alarm.com cameras alone, and have them save clips of events if someone was to walk up in range of it?

Yes, you can go with just the Alarm.com Cloud Video service and use event based recording. The basic plan offers 1000 clips/month, which is a lot, but can be eclipsed by a few outdoor cameras if motion detection rules aren’t tweaked really well.

The second level of service adds 5000 more clips, which is hard to use up unless you are recording way more than necessary.

Yes. You can create VMD, or event based rules just like you have for the V520IR. But if you create VMD rules for outdoor cameras, you will reach your monthly quota quickly, and all the cameras will turn off their recording rules.

Use the smallest VMD windows you can, and keep in mind that even shifting sunlight may trigger a recording clip