Running a Cell Test on NX8e Panel

No, no. You should simply plug the battery in first. The panel will not boot off of the battery alone.

ah. ok. then I’ve done that… a few times now :slight_smile:

I’m assuming you are on the east coast - it’s kind of late there. Shall we pick this up tomorrow?

We are indeed EST.

Well is appears that Alarm.com is able to pull users, but still no equipment list. It sounds like you should have a total of 24 zones, correct? Other than communication failure between the module and the panel, I’m not sure of any good reason why the equipment requests should fail. But since user codes can sync and other commands can be sent to the panel, that seems like an odd possibility.

We will discuss with Alarm.com and see if there is anything in programming or if the existing monitoring service might be throwing this off.

Some steps to try to resolve this are below:

Power cycle the panel
Trip the highest zone
Let us know you’ve tripped the zone and we will send a Hard Reset and request an Updated System Status.

If that does not work, try the following steps:

Complete another power cycle
Send a communication test
Let us know and we will request an Equipment List

If we’re still unable to read the equipment list it’s possible that the panel local programming lockout had been enabled. In that case, only the Interlogix remote downloader software would be able to disable the lockout.

Thanks Warren. I’m not able to run those tests right now, but I will when I get home - should be a couple hours.

I think you may be correct about the panel local programming lockout being enabled. When I try to get to locations 19-22 using the keypad, they will not display. So, it seems like someone has fiddled with the bits at location 21. I have the DL900 software, and a USB to Serial adapter connection to the panel, but I haven’t tried connecting to my panel just yet using the DL900. That software doesn’t seem very user friendly.

By The way - after we weren’t able to get alarm.com to download the sensor data, I connected my home automation controller to the panel (A MiCasaVerde VeraLite UI5 with Caddx Plugin). After updating a few of the home automation settings, the VeraLite was able to connect with the panel and download a full list of sensors. Just thought I would mention it so you are aware that I made some changes since yesterday. After making my changes for the VeraLite, I did try another *44 test to see if alarm.com would populate the sensor list, but it didn’t. Here are the options I changed to allow the VeraLite to connect:

LOCATION #207 - 1 ON (Serial Port Enable for Home Automation)
LOCATION #208 - 4 ON (Serial Port Baud Rate = 31600)
LOCATION #209 - SEGMENT #1 (Set the Home Automation protocol to BINARY): 1 OFF
LOCATION #210 - SEGMENT #1 : 2 5 6 7 8 ON
LOCATION #210 - SEGMENT #2: 1 3 4 ON
LOCATION #211 - SEGMENT #1: 2 4 5 6 7 8 ON
LOCATION #211 - SEGMENT #2: 1 3 4 5 ON
LOCATION #211 - SEGMENT #3: 1 2 3 5 7 ON
LOCATION #211 - SEGMENT #4: 3 4 5 6 7 8 ON

To ensure that the equipment list and other programming will be accessible normally, you will just need to disable Location 21, Segment 1, Bits 5, 6, and 7.

This should resolve the issue for you.

I’m available to work on this now - did you want me to do the ‘trip the highest zone’ test, or do we want to go directly to checking/setting Location1 Segment 1 bits?

If we need to do that, then I’ll need to figure out how to work the DL900 software since the keypad will not let me access that location.

• I meant Location 21 in the previous post, not Location 1.

You will need to change the bits at location 21 before the equipment list will populate. If we know that the programming lock is enabled it sounds like that would definitely be causing the problem.

ok. I’ll try to get the DL900 connected. Do you guys know much about the DL900 software if I’m flummoxed by the user interface and can’t figure out how to change Location 21? I found the DL900 documentation, but it is pretty awful.

We would be happy to help if you have any questions about the documentation or process. The most recent revision of the manual I have found from Interlogix is from 1998. So, it may have some outdated OS instruction etc.

I have the DL900 software communicating with the panel now (I can see send/receive info in the Diagnostic tool). When I attempt a ‘Direct Connect’ action I receive the error message “Incorrect control access code!”. Based on my googling of that error, I need to update the access code in the software, but I’m not sure how that is done - would you be able to help?

I’m also open to giving you remote access to my PC (via Teamviewer or other tool). Let me know if you would like to do that to expedite the troubleshooting.

BTW, I’m using V3.04 of the DL900 software.

thanks.

84800000 is the default code for the NX, but that may have changed. In the DL900 settings, go to Control Panel, Advanced Settings, Download Access. The access code here must match what is in the panel, and it is likely in this case that it is the panel programming which needs edited. You can set it to the default above.

In the Panel it is Location 19. Adding the 8 digits (84800000) one at a time for those segments. (digit, star, digit, star, etc.)

If you are using an NX-586, you’ll want to use the direct connect action.

Thanks again. I was able to find the setting in the DL900 and it was set to the default 84800000

I can’t access location 19 via the panel. It just beeps when I enter 19#

My installer seems to have locked things down pretty good here.

I am connected to the serial port on the NX-8E. No NX-585 module.

Does the default code then let you use the direct connect action or same error?

Hmm. I’ll double check with Interlogix that the access code would still be correct if not using the NX-586

I’ve tested the default code using the ‘Direct Connect’ button on the user interface, and the Download->Connect->Direct Connect using 586’ options. Both get the same error message: ‘Incorrect control access code!’

Is there another connection type to try?

All of the googling I’ve done seems to confirm that the default code for nx-8e is 84800000, so I suppose it was changed by the installer.

Alright, I only have familiarity with connecting via the 586. In this case you would still use Direct Connect, however there are connection configurations with the NX-586 that are not set automatically when attempting to just connect with a USB-to-Serial. According to Interlogix, there are panel Locations which need edited for this, so it would not be possible to edit while locked out.

Have you connected via DL900 software previously to this panel, or is this the first time you’ve attempted? Did your installer connect via the same USB to Serial method ever?

Ultimately you would likely need a 586 to connect to this panel. At the same time, it is entirely possible that the downloader access code was changed on the panel, which the 586 alone would not resolve. You would want to verify this with the prior provider and see if you could get the code from them.

I would first contact your prior provider and see if they can confirm the current access code for your system. That would allow you to be certain you have the software access code correct and whether or not a 586 would resolve this. (or even better if they already have the panel programmed to accept the USB to Serial and the code just needs changed from default)

Thanks.

This is my first time using the DL900 software to connect. The panel was installed about 15 years ago - I don’t really remember if the installer connected in the same manner or not. I was able to verify that communication over the serial connection is working ok - my VeraLite home automation controller connected just fine, and I can see both send and receive data going through the serial connection when using the DL900 software (using a serial port monitoring tool).

I know my installer was pretty thorough with the rest of the security system installation, so I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he changed the downloader code. In fact, I would expect him to. I’ll contact him next week to see if they will share the code - or perhaps reset it to the default since they should still have access via the POTS connection.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for helping me to work through this challenge!

We’re happy to help! And I know this case can be frustrating since there are likely some insurmountable roadblocks, at least without some additional info. Let us know if you are able to confirm that code and need help editing the panel lockout.

The alarm company informs me they have reset the download code to the default value 84800000.

I just power-cycled the panel and ran a communication check (*44). When logged into my alarm.com account, I do see some entries in the sensor list now, but there are only 4 of them, and just have generic names (see below). Can you check into this and see if you can get all 24 sensors to populate now? Thanks!

SENSOR STATUS
Contact (1) CLOSED
Contact (2) CLOSED
Contact (3) CLOSED
Contact (4) CLOSED