Rules triggered by light switches

I moved to alarm.com after 8 years with Nexia. I had the ability of a single zwave light switch being able to trigger other zwave light switches when activated with a rule in Nexia.

When will alarm.com add a light event to the rules setup similar to sensor activity?

I had the ability of a single zwave light switch being able to trigger other zwave light switches when activated with a rule in Nexia

Are you saying physically flipping a light switch turned on multiple Z-wave switches? Or do you mean a remote controlled scene?

Scenes can be set up through Alarm.com to control numerous devices at once. With the latest version of ADC, you can place scene widgets on your home screen.

If you meant using one light switch as a trigger for another when physically flipping the switch, what was the solution when only one light should be activated?

I have a vacation rental cabin with exterior lights on the front deck, driveway and upper deck. I had the front deck switch programmed to also turn on the other 2 so all the lights in front were on. The switch did this function all the time.

The alarm.com rules allow triggers by sensors and locks, why not light switches?

I have a vacation rental cabin with exterior lights on the front deck, driveway and upper deck. I had the front deck switch programmed to also turn on the other 2 so all the lights in front were on. The switch did this function all the time

Hmm, well we can suggest this to Alarm.com (it may already be planned) but for the time being what alarm panel are you using and what model of Z-wave switches?

Actually, just realized what the holdup is.

The lutron patent affects this. Light switch status cannot be “richly” conveyed by the switch (which means the switch cannot tell the controller that someone flipped it, except in Lutron systems and those that license the ability).

Effectively, work-arounds must be performed, and not all Alarm.com panels have a fix for this. Light status rules cannot be implemented at the current time for all systems. I would not assume automation for a specific few panels would be developed, but I’ve made the suggestion to ADC.

I am using a DSC PowerSeries Neo panel and GE Z-wave switchs 12722. The GE 12722 switch replaced the discontinued 45609 switch listed on Alarm.com a year ago.

Again, Nexia has had this functionality for a few years.

Light status is limited by the panel being used. Again a work-around is required by non-Lutron systems, possibly paid licensing but we do not have insight into that. Unfortunately less than half of available panels are capable of polling status at this time. A list of panels and module requirements can be found here.

Are you a suretyDIY subscriber? If so we can link your account to a feature request.

The GE 12722 switch and the DSC PowerSeries Neo panel have no issues with light status and the ability to turn on/off.

Alarm.com does not have the option to trigger a rule by a switch activity like it does for a lock or sensor activity.

Effectively, work-arounds must be performed, and not all Alarm.com panels have a fix for this. Light status rules cannot be implemented at the current time for all systems. I would not assume automation for a specific few panels would be developed, but I’ve made the suggestion to ADC.

See above quote. Correct, the Neo is one of the panels which can show status, but rules typically aren’t prioritized as high if they can only be accessed by a few certain panels/modules. I would imagine that this will require all (or at least most) panels to support light status first. However, the more it is requested, the more likely it will be implemented.

Please note we are not Alarm.com, nor are we representatives of Alarm.com, but if you are a suretyDIY subscriber we can make a feature request on your behalf.

were you ever able to do this, I am very interested to know

You cannot set rules to trigger other light switches when one is physically flipped. If you are looking for a 3-way switch, there are various options, but if just looking to control different switch loads with one action, it would be best to do this with scenes set up in Alarm.com. You can then control the scenes via your phone (even widgets on the home screen).

I have a solution, since I would like to do the same thing. Use a Thin Door Sensor (DW10) and use the wire contact for loop 2, connect that to any type of contact switch (like a wall switch). Now program this sensor into the controller and set it as a trigger in automation to turn on/off any other z-wave switch. Once you flip the physical switch connected to the sensor, the automation will control as many switches in your controller.