Revisit 2GC Z-Wave demise on Power Outage

The PGE outage last week exhausted my panel battery, and once power was restored, no Z-Wave devices were operational. The panel says none are there, except PC Controller. I have attempted to re-add them back in but the panel discovers no devices when I attempt to pair. So I am not sure if this is a 2GC panel issue or Z-Wave device issue. If device it means all of them have failed? Security portion of panel works fine.

I know there is a panel reset via disconnecting power and hold both front buttons while power up. I suspect this wipes out ALL programming, including security however.

Sooo… Ditch Z-Wave and go with WiFi, try the panel reset and see if Z-Wave returns, or?

I do like the stand alone notion of the Security and minimal light control from the same panel, however I am loathe to repeat what I think is in store for me. The majority of my Home Automation is on WiFi, and Alexa control so maybe this is the way to go, but not sure what I may lose from Alarm.Com.

The PGE outage last week exhausted my panel battery, and once power was restored, no Z-Wave devices were operational. The panel says none are there, except PC Controller. I have attempted to re-add them back in but the panel discovers no devices when I attempt to pair.

Happy to help! Unfortunately there is a known issue which can affect the GC2 on total power failure where this exact scenario occurs. It is rare, but it is definitely a frustrating issue.

Fortunately you should be able to add the devices back just fine. Z-wave devices internally save the parent network info. Since it is a two way communication protocol the panel and the devices pair to each other, not just the panel listening for the devices.

This means that if the panel Z-wave controller is reset (or this bug caused by full outage) then each individual device still retains the old parent network link and cannot be readded until a Remove Device operation is used on each one.

For each device, go into the Z-wave menu and tap Remove Devices. Press the pair button on the device, the panel should say that a device has been cleared. You can then add it using Add Devices.

This must be done for all Z-wave devices.

If you are looking for alternate options, lighting automation devices could be replaced by Lutron RadioRa2 or Caseta. These would still be compatible through Alarm.com.

Stand alone wifi lights would not be compatible.