Replacing Smoke/Heat/Freeze Detector

I am getting ready to replace the Smoke/Heat/Freeze detector on my 2gig CP2 system, as it is approaching EOL of 2025. Model SMTK2-345 will be replaced by SMTKT8-345. It occurred to me that the heat and freeze functions do not exhaust and I might make use of that at another location in the home.

Any issue with using two of the three functions? Each is on a separate zone of the CP2.

EDIT: Well I just received the new unit and it does not list my panel as compatible. My panel is 2GIG-CNTRL2-345. Not sure if this is really an issue or just an omission since the panel is long since out of production. Looks like both panel and detector are 345MHz and not encrypted., so should work? E mail to 2GIG tech support just bounced back so thought I would add edit here. May just try it and see.

Also is the mounting plate the same for both units as it is a difficult, high ladder location and I really do not need the nose bleed of changing the mounting plate.

Thanks!

The unencrypted SMKT8 will work with the 2GIG GC2 (the Go!Control you reference.)

I don’t recall ever testing the non-smoke loops by themselves after expiration, I’ve always just replaced a unit in the same spot.

I believe only the smoke loop throws a malfunction after expiration, so you may be able to continue using the other two. The whole reason for the expiration date is the breakdown of the sensing element of the smoke detector, so I would expect it would work this way.

The casing for those models is different, you should always use the full housing of the new sensor, do not try to use the old back plate.

Just a follow up. I have the new detector programmed and awaiting installation when I can get some ladder time. I just assigned the old one as 00, or unused. Decided against using the other two functions of heat and freeze on the old unit as I suspect when it reaches end of life it will give a local chirp from the unit itself. Thought I was saving land fill but I will just get another new unit if needed. I did stumble a bit on the install as 2Gig panel asks for SERIAL # of the detector, the detector calls it TX-ID, serial is also on the detector and is a 16 digit code as opposed to required 7. Resolved by call to 2Gig, actually talked to a live person on first attempt and he knew the answer. Amazing in today’s world!