Replacing Security Manager 2000 System with 2GIG or QOLSYS

This appears to be a standard topic here (2GIG vs QOLSYS). I have read many of the threads on QOLSYS IQ Panel 2 vs. 2GIG GC3. I haven’t seen a very consolidated comparison however, as the IQ Panel 2 appears pretty new.

I have a completely wired ADT old system I just got access to with the installer code for the house I bought. It’s an ADT Security Manager 2000. Completely wired. I have one bad wired sensor (it’s a Reed door switch I just bought a replacement for and verified the issue is just the sensor). I want to move over to a newer system with these priorities:

1. Access to see status of alarm while outside my network
  2. Low monthly cost, if any
  3. Compatible with my Schlage smart lock

My current plan is to use a 2GIG GC3 with a Takeover module (I have 6 zones) which will cost $300 total on Amazon. I’m realizing that the IQ Panel 2 is a good competitor, which it appears the Takeover Module may not work with… and I’d have to spend more on the 16 zone module.

Before I select click to buy on the GC3 is there a reason to consider other systems such as the IQ Panel 2? I also have Philips Hue lights and Ecobee 4 thermostats.

1) Access to see status of alarm while outside my network 2) Low monthly cost, if any 3) Compatible with my Schlage smart lock

We’re happy to help! For included features of our service plans, please visit this page. Note that for remote control of Z-wave devices through Alarm.com, Gold Interactive would be required.

Before I select click to buy on the GC3 is there a reason to consider other systems such as the IQ Panel 2? I also have Philips Hue lights and Ecobee 4 thermostats.

Note that no Alarm.com compatible system will support Hue or Ecobee wifi T-stats. They are not compatible with the panels. They can of course continue to be used in a parallel system, but you would not be able to control them through Alarm.com, at least at this time.

A note of comparison between the IQ Panel 2 and the GC3: the IQ Panel 2 has a built in cellular communicator. The GC3 has a modular cellular connector that is sold separately, but which means you can swap it out for the alternate carrier if signaling is an issue, as well as add a longer antenna if necessary for strategic placement, neither of which is possible on the IQ Panel 2.