Replacing failed z wave node with z wave PLUS device?

Hey there - I have several Schlage Z-Wave door locks. Due to the nature of our home layout, these devices seem to fall just barely out of the reliable range - resulting in frequent “unable to connect” or “device malfunction” messages on our Alarm.com app. We recently upgraded to an IQ Panel 2, with Z-Wave PLUS, which has helped reduce these errors, but not eliminate them altogether.

I have just purchased a few of the new Schlage connects that use Z-Wave PLUS, in the hopes that this will put an end to our range issues.

We have a huge amount of rules and schedules that involve these locks and I would really HATE to have to remove the old locks and re-add the new ones from scratch. I would LOVE to use the IQ Panel 2’s “Replace Failed Node” function to simply swap out the old models for the new, maintaining all my existing rules and schedules. Is that possible? Any downside to this?

And more importantly, will the “replacement” nodes function as Z-Wave PLUS devices or is that something that requires a fresh install?

Thanks so much!

We have a huge amount of rules and schedules that involve these locks and I would really HATE to have to remove the old locks and re-add the new ones from scratch. I would LOVE to use the IQ Panel 2’s “Replace Failed Node” function to simply swap out the old models for the new, maintaining all my existing rules and schedules. Is that possible? Any downside to this?

And more importantly, will the “replacement” nodes function as Z-Wave PLUS devices or is that something that requires a fresh install?

I don’t think this is going to work for you this way. If you were replacing with the same model it may be beneficial, but a fresh install is recommended for a new model of lock, as Alarm.com will be presented with new device data and there will likely be the need to delete and recreate schedules in order to get them to work anyway. The locks also need to exchange security keys with the panel.

I would generally recommend doing a fresh install and rules to avoid issues. That said, I’m happy to check with Qolsys to see if there is a safe way of doing what you are looking to do. I’ve not tested trying to replace locks, and generally speaking locks are finicky in the setup process.

I am not certain if the device would properly function as Z-wave plus when replacing a node as opposed to new install. We can check with Qolsys for clarification on this. I’ll report back when I hear from them.

Thanks for the prompt reply Jason.

Yes, I would greatly appreciate checking with Qolsys to see if there’s an easy procedure for replacing or upgrading nodes that doesn’t involve rebuilding all my ADC rules.

I would also note that I am replacing the Schlage BE469nx locks with BE469zp locks. Not exactly the same model, but certainly very similar other than the Z-Wave PLUS radio.

For what it’s worth - I have used the “replace failed node” previously on a failed Z wave outlet. It still forces you to learn the replacement device into the panel and I would assume the Schlage lock would go through the secure learn process at this stage.

Thanks again and let me know if there’s anything else that I can provide to you or Qolsys!

Well, great news, actually. Qolsys says it should work on all counts. Those devices should be compatible and should properly replace the existing devices in ADC. Let us know if you run into issues, I’d love to have confirmation it works out!

That is GREAT news indeed! Thanks, Jason!

I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed for a smooth transition.

Incidentally, is there any way within the IQ Panel 2 to verify that a device is using the Z Wave Plus protocol? Some hardware test to determine if it is transmitting properly?

There is not one that I can find in the statuses or Z-wave testing diagnostics which explicitly states Z-wave Plus. If the device is Plus compatible and the controller is, the device will default to use Z-wave Plus.

Copy that. Thanks again, Jason. I will let you know how the transition goes.