remote temp sensors and GC3

From what I’ve read in this forum the RTS is not officially support. Correct? They constantly get disconnect from the panel. The t2000 stays consistently connected. Is there any work around? Or just wait for the firmware update.

Lastly, I don’t complete understand z wave networking other then it’s Mesh of some kind so it’s very possible I installed the RTS incorrectly. I have three total.

From what I’ve read in this forum the RTS is not officially support. Correct?

The ADC Remote Temp Sensors were not made compatible with the most recent firmware update (3.0.1) for the GC3, just the ADCT2000. There are some who have had improved success utilizing the RTS’ with the GC3 since 3.0.1 but compatibility with the RTS was not addressed specifically in 3.0.1.

Lastly, I don’t complete understand z wave networking other then it’s Mesh of some kind so it’s very possible I installed the RTS incorrectly. I have three total.

Z-wave does not have a very far range from panel to individual devices, and instead uses a mesh network, with AC powered Z-wave devices repeating signals along the way. As the RTS’ are not AC powered, you will most likely have issues with communication if your z-wave network consists of just those 3 RTS’.

Remember, the more z-wave devices you have (specifically AC powered), the stronger the mesh network. You may need additional AC powered z-wave devices/nodes to properly utilize the RTS’. However, even with a strong network, you may still have issues with the RTS due to compatibility.

RTS’ do not participate in Network Rediscoveries so when installing them, not only do the panel and RTS’ need to be at their final install points but any necessary repeating devices between the RTS and the panel should be installed and paired first.

When pairing an RTS you’ll want to follow these steps:

-Install the RTS in its final resting place and ensure that the panel is in its installation point as well.

-Enter z-wave inclusion mode (system settings-> installer toolbox->Smart Home settings-> Remove Devices and press the inclusion button on the device (sometimes devices are added to a network for testing at the factory, this ensures that they are ready for inclusion)

-Then pair the device (same process as above but use Add Devices instead of Remove.)

The only device I have as a repeater is the T2000 which is connected via AC. Is there a way of verifying that it’s acting as a repeater? One of the RTS that I’m having trouble with it about 15 feet from the panel. Is there a way to see the signal strength of the RTS?

Is there a way of verifying that it’s acting as a repeater? One of the RTS that I’m having trouble with it about 15 feet from the panel. Is there a way to see the signal strength of the RTS?

The ADC-T2000 is reporting having been learned in on AC power so yes, it would be functioning as a repeater.

There is no signal strength reading available for the RTS no, but I do see a high number of failed messages in diagnostic counters. Keep in mind as the RTS is not officially supported by the new firmware yet, it is not possible to definitively state a cause.

In general, routing problems can be caused by a number of things, with distance, environmental factors, and failed/incomplete pairing process being common.

Removal and re-pairing a device is usually a good step if other factors don’t add up, however I do want to stress that full functionality should not be expected with the RTS and GC3 yet.

I can wait for the new firmware, no biggie. Are the failed messages to the panel or to alarm.com? We do have a Verizon extender in the house and I read somewhere on the forum that it may causes issues. Verizon finally released a LTE version that is not compatible with 3G so I could swap it out.

As fair as pairing goes for the RTS I just hold down the pairing button right (assuming the GC3 is in add device mode)?

I can wait for the new firmware, no biggie. Are the failed messages to the panel or to alarm.com? We do have a Verizon extender in the house and I read somewhere on the forum that it may causes issues. Verizon finally released a LTE version that is not compatible with 3G so I could swap it out.

The diagnostic counters I was referring to are only internal Z-wave, so commands/requests from your panel to Z-wave devices in your network.

However, if you are using a Cell extender that would be a separate concern affecting cellular usage. If you have not noticed any delays in inbound commands (commands to arm system from app, etc.) then your GC3 cell sled may not be attempting to connect to the extender and it may not be an issue. The symptom you would see would be heavily delayed remote commands.

As fair as pairing goes for the RTS I just hold down the pairing button right (assuming the GC3 is in add device mode)?

Once the panel is in Add Mode, you just need to press the Pairing button on the Temperature Sensor to add it to the Z-Wave network. You will see the light on the Temperature Sensor turn solid white when it has been successfully added.

Ok. As far as the pairing goes for the RTS that’s what I have been doing. I’ll mess around with it a little more but it seems to be a firmware thing. Thanks again for all the speedy replies. Oh BTW things are a bit slow on the cellular side so maybe the extender is an issue. It’s not a huge issue for now and once the WIFI becomes available and I swap it out (the extender) with LTE is should be a non issue.

If you would like to try to add your cell module to your extender’s white-list to allow it to connect (if able) please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and reference this thread. There will be a specific number to add based on your module but it is not the standard module ID and is not printed on the device anywhere.

I was just about ready to post a new thread, until I saw this. Is my issue the same as others are finding here?

I have the T-2000 thermostat that has been working great on my GC3 with the 3.01 firmware update. I recently added a S2000-t-ra temperature sensor to the panel, and it comes up correctly and shows in my ADC account. However, after about a day or two my adc app starts showing “Temperature Sensor - Malfunction”, and my GC3 wants me to perform a network check. I perform the network check, and it passes just fine - but my app still shows “Temperature Sensor- Malfunction”. I have tried removing and re-adding the sensor, and it works for a day or so before going back into malfunction. It is only sitting approx 10ft away from the GC3, and I have also tried new batteries in the S2000. Anybody have any idea’s??

Thanks,

The RTS should not be expected to function 100% yet with the current firmware. Only the T2000 was given official full support.

In general, when removing and re-adding an RTS, make sure that it is in its final location and that the panel is in its final location as well. RTS must be learned in where they are intended to be used as they do not participate in network rediscoveries.

However, at this time, we expect irregularities when used on a GC3. I would not recommend relying on their features for Tstat automation yet.

This is the same issue I have. I’m going to try rebooting the panel when I get home and running a single RTS to see if that helps. Likely the firmware needs to be fixed on the GC3.

Whoops! apparently Jason and I were typing basically the same response.

“If you would like to try to add your cell module to your extender’s white-list to allow it to connect (if able) please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and reference this thread. There will be a specific number to add based on your module but it is not the standard module ID and is not printed on the device anywhere.”

I think my extender is setup for open access (anyone can connect) but I’ll double check.

I verified the extender is setup for open access.

Based on the signal strength readings, it does not appear that your panel is connecting to the extender. However, an LTE only extender would remove any question

FYI, I could never get the RTS to work right. I think the only option is to wait for the firmware update.