Recommendations for replacing old Vista system

Hi, prospective new customer here.

We recently purchased a house with an old Vista 4140XMP panel from 1991. From what I can tell, the existing system includes 28 zones with an extensive array of hardwired sensors (including roughly 90 door/window contacts, two motion sensors, 3 smoke detectors, and a couple of attic heat detectors). There are also two Ademco 4208 “Eight Point Remote Point Module” boxes next to the panel. No wireless components.

With my very limited knowledge, I am trying to figure out the best way to upgrade and build on what we have. In particular I want to be able to:

1. Control our system remotely via smartphone, and
  2. Add wireless glass break sensors, since all of the windows are casement and an intruder would likely just break one before opening it. However, it would be great to retain the chime function that tells me when my kids have opened something.

Assuming I can find professional help with the install, is it possible to replace the Vista panel with the IQ 2+, and take over the hardwired sensors with two(?) of the Qolsys Hardwire 16F? An ADT rep mentioned potential incompatibility with polling loops, but I’m not sure how to evaluate that concern.

Am I better off abandoning the old system, and starting from scratch with the IQ 2+ and more limited wireless sensors?

is it possible to replace the Vista panel with the IQ 2+, and take over the hardwired sensors with two(?) of the Qolsys Hardwire 16F?

Yes, that should work for you for any basic hardwire zone sensors. You would not be using any of the old Vista boards like the panel or 4208s. You also, as the ADT rep suggested, would not be able to use any 2-wire “polling loop” sensors, which are addressable sensors running on that single two wire data loop. You might have sensors directly connected to that loop, not on the panel zones or 4208s. Knowing the model of sensors in this case is necessary to determine what can be used, so unfortunately there is more complexity than normal here. The 4140XMP is before my time, but it looks like it would use standard sensors wired into the 4208s and those 4208s communicate via the polling loop.

The life safety devices, smoke detectors and heat detectors will need to be replaced as they would be polling loop devices. Even so, if they haven’t been replaced since the installation the smoke detectors are well past life expectancy and the Hardwire 16F is only officially compatible with a few System Sensor 2-wire smoke detector models.

Alternatively you can just add some wireless smoke detectors like the IQ Smoke or PowerG model.

My personally thought is since this system is very very outdated and some wires might have some issues to save ur self the trouble I would recommend starting from scratch and use wireless sensors and such if financing isn’t too big of a issue I would also recommend using powerg smokes and co so that one goes they all go as well add an outdoor powerg siren and maybe a couple inside

1 Like

Jason–Thanks very much for the info. I haven’t found any documentation on my specific sensor models, but in reviewing the 4140XMP manual, I discovered that the first 9 “basic” zones are for hardwired sensors, and potential zones 10-64 are for expansion via polling loop.

Can I conclude from this that only my sensors in zones 1-9 are potentially reusable?
(Those include my motion sensors, main door contacts, basement window contacts and a couple of heat detectors). Understanding that the heat detectors will need to be replaced anyway due to age, is there any benefit to replacing the sensors on the existing wiring vs. going wireless?

What type keypad do y have as well

We currently have three KPs. Two I believe are the Ademco 5137, and one is a Honeywell M6987.

Can I conclude from this that only my sensors in zones 1-9 are potentially reusable?

Anything on the those zones and it looks like any standard zones wired into the 4208, which uses standard sensors and transmits them as a polling loop device.

Understanding that the heat detectors will need to be replaced anyway due to age, is there any benefit to replacing the sensors on the existing wiring vs. going wireless?

Not really, in this case trying to reuse the wiring will have complications because you would need to remove any and all polling loop devices connected to that wire circuit. That could potentially be some of the sensors in addition to the life safety and 4208 unit.

Got it. Thanks for the help!

@jwcsurety – After much research, I’m back with a followup question:

My current tentative plan is to replace the old Vista 4140XMP panel with a Vista 20P, and the 4208s with two 4219 zone expanders. As I understand it, this should allow me to retain all of my existing hardwired door and window sensors.

I’m also planning to add:

• One 6160 keypad
  • One 6160RF keypad, for integration of new wireless sensors
  • Six 5853 wireless glass breaks
  • Three 5800COMBO wireless smoke/CO detectors, to replace my out-of-date polling loop devices
  • One ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ to enable dual-path monitoring through Surety

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?

Those devices would be compatible and the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ would be needed for communication with Alarm.com.

You would need to make sure the Vista 20P is made 2005 or later to be compatible with the SEM300.

The below guide covers how to connect the two and what is needed/expected

1 Like