Recomendations for 1250 SQFT, 1 Story Home

Hi, all,

Going to be moving into a new place soon, and I’m looking into getting a home security system set up there. I’d like 24/7 security, fire, and medical monitoring.

Some details on the house:

Square Footage: 1250Sqft across a single story.

** Doors:** 2 Wooden Doors (Front Door, Garage => House Door) and 1 Sliding Glass Door; I’d like all of these to be monitored. There’s also a garage door, but I think that should be well protected on its own once we install a LiftMaster system?

** Windows:** 4 Windows; I’d like all of these to be monitored. Each window is in a separate room.

Leak Spots: 7. Fridge, Washer, 4 sinks, and Water Heater.

Wiring: The house is not currently wired up for security systems. However, there is a box in the garage already where the security system wires could terminate.

At this point, I’m heavily leaning towards getting a system with Surety. I don’t think the DIY would be too much to navigate, at least as long as I’m not going to have to hardwire anything–which doesn’t seem to be the case with Surety.

As of right now, I’m thinking I’ll go for the following system setup with Surety Home ($22/month):

• Essential Equipment (1x Qolsys IQ Panel 2+, 2x IQ Mini Door/Window Sensors, 1x Month of Surety Monitoring)
  • 5x Mini Door/Window Sensors (is it worth getting the embedded ones?)
  • 1x E-Series FireFighter Encrypted Wired Smoke Alarm Audio Detector (The cart says this isn’t compatible with the IQ system; what alarm detector is compatible with the IQ system?)
  • 7x IQ Flood Detectors

How does that system look? Any other protection y’all would recommend?

The flood protection is pretty bloody expensive ($343), but a leak could of course be far pricier. Have folks had good experiences using an alternative leak detection system?

I’ve heard that the 2GIG Edge panel is a good competitor to the IQ panel. Does the IQ panel have any advantages over the 2GIG panel? What about Honeywell, DSC, and other system manufacturers?

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!

Thanks!

Happy to assist.

• Essential Equipment (1x Qolsys IQ Panel 2+, 2x IQ Mini Door/Window Sensors, 1x Month of Surety Monitoring)
  • 5x Mini Door/Window Sensors (is it worth getting the embedded ones?)
  • 1x E-Series FireFighter Encrypted Wired Smoke Alarm Audio Detector (The cart says this isn’t compatible with the IQ system; what alarm detector is compatible with the IQ system?)
  • 7x IQ Flood Detectors

The e-series 2GIG FireFighter is not compatible with that panel, it is only compatible with the 2GIG Edge, 2GIG GC2e and 2GIG GC3e.

You will want the FireFighter Wired Smoke Alarm Audio Detector 319.5Mhz

The flood protection is pretty bloody expensive ($343), but a leak could of course be far pricier. Have folks had good experiences using an alternative leak detection system?

The S-Line QS5536 IQ Flood-S is the only compatible flood sensor that we carry. Alternative flood detectors directly compatible with the Qolsys IQP2+ 319.5 would be:

• PowerG PG9985
  • IQ Flood QS5516-840 (non encrypted)
  • Interlogix 60-744-95R or NX-695 (IIRC both will be hard to get as they have been discontinued)

Outside of sensors that pair with the panel, there isnt an alternative method of leak detection that pairs with the panel/ties in to Alarm.com.

This link here will filter all of the products that are compatible with the Qolsys brand IQ Panel 2+ with 319.5MHz radio that we have on our storefront. Compatible Items do not need to be purchased

I’ve heard that the 2GIG Edge panel is a good competitor to the IQ panel. Does the IQ panel have any advantages over the 2GIG panel? What about Honeywell, DSC, and other system manufacturers?

The 2GIG Edge is pretty new, I could not definitively say its better or worse the the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+. It is compatible with 345MHz legacy and eSeries sensors and has a facial recognition feature. Its also local live view compatible with up to 8 Onvif brand cameras (but they arent Alarm.com compatible, so it would be local view only).

The Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ is a very DIY friendly panel that is compatible with Alarm.com. Its easier to program, use, and is compatible with the widest array of wireless sensors. They also update their panel software more frequently then other brands which has been a big plus imo.

Hey, Tyler!

Sorry for my response time here. We were in the middle of the move, so things have been a bit hectic on my end, hah.

Thank you for the correction on the FireFighter alarm and for the suggestions on the alternative water sensors!

I definitely think we’ll be going with Surety shortly. That said, I was curious if there were panels that were just for arming/disarming the system? I see the option to just buy a secondary IQ Panel, but I thought one might exist that doesn’t have all the bells and whistles. I’m specifically looking for them so I can place them near the front door, back door, and garage door while having the main IQ panel elsewhere.

Let me know if you have any thoughts–and thanks again for your help!

The Qolsys IQ PAnel 2+ is compatible with the IQ Remote and the PowerG WS9LCDWF9 keypad.

The WS9LCDWF9 doesn’t offer the same features as the IQ Remote but would be a good fit for the scenario you have described. While we do not carry them, they can be found from a variety of vendors online. More information on the PowerG keypad can be found here.