Recessed Contact - low battery with fresh battery

When I installed one of the recessed door contacts, the system immediately said it had a low battery. I thought that was odd since these are new, but I replaced the battery this morning anyway. It’s still transmitting a low battery signal. Please advise. Thanks!

Is this one of the sensors from this thread?

Is this installed without any casing? Does the sensor otherwise transmit signals properly at the moment?

It is the same contact but on a different door. It is working 100% correctly with the exception of sending the low battery signal. It is in the frame without the casing, however it was transmitting low battery signal even before I installed it without the casing. I managed to get a drop of paint on the edge of it as well, opposite the side of the battery and it’s contacts. However, it was transmitting low battery signal out of the box before any of this.

Well, you voided any existing warranty on that DW20R.

My suggestion is to either:

A. Retrieve the rest of the sensor, and properly install it (fill in wall/door voids with sandable wood filler and repaint), and replace battery with a 2014/2015 dated CR2 lithium

B. Replace the entire sensor.

Did you buy the replacement battery new or did it come from another sensor?

Definitively, you could test the battery with a multimeter to determine whether the voltage is truly low.

Given what you’ve described though, it sounds like it might need replaced

I purchased the battery new at the store. If it is transmitting a low battery signal because it is defective, the warrantee should still be in effect. It was doing this out of the box way before installation.

Oh, and for replacing the batteries on any sensor…

Word of advice, general rule of thumb, check the date/date codes on the battery package. Dont purchase it if the package date/date code is a year or more.

the warrantee should still be in effect. It was doing this out of the box way before installation.

No. You voided the warranty by installing it without it’s protective casing, and by possibly damaging the board with paint spillage. If I were you I would not mention those aspects to the dealer you purchased it from if you try a warranty return.

Unfortunately no, the DW20 is unique in its warranty. Once installed, it is almost impossible to remove without damaging (which unfortunately occurred in this case). Units with physically damaged or missing parts are not returnable per manufacturer.

Once installed, it is almost impossible to remove without damaging

There is a way to remove the casing on the DW20 with minimal casing damage (e.g., slight tool marks)

My front door DW20 sensor (with casing), for example, has been in three doors (had to have my prehung door and frame builder warranty replaced twice soon after new home purchase). It only has slight markings from the needle nose.

It is a PITA though ( very small flat heat screwdriver, needle nose pliers or Gerber tool will do the trick)

Oh, it should be noted…

Do not replace the CR2 Lithium with a non-lithium replacement battery.

You can get these from just about any drug store (like Walgreens), but pay special attention to the date on the package.