RE211 Mighty Mouse - low battery results in tamper alarm

I have several of the RE211 door/window sensors that I purchased from Surety when you offered them. They are great because they are discrete and don’t standout like most of the door/window sensors on my 110+ year old windows. The issue I am having is that a sensor will report a low battery and within less than 24-hours will often result in a false tamper, which if the system is armed results in an alarm event. This happened earlier this week while armed away and I was at work, I was planning on replacing the batteries that day after work as I would have expected more than 24-hours before things went “wrong”.

My concern is that I have a lot of these sensors and no way to know the current battery state, and lets say I am away from home on vacation for a week…and anytime during that any one of these sensors gets a low battery, it triggers the alarm and the police are dispatched…and then I get fined when there is no actual burglary event. This is a horribly design in these RE211 that they randomly report tamper when the battery is low.

What do you suggest? I didn’t buy these sensors knowing of this problem, and having to replace them all is absurd when I am just throwing money away at it. These are enrolled through a translator currently to my IQ2+.

This is a horribly design in these RE211 that they randomly report tamper when the battery is low.

It’s not a design choice, it is definitely an unintended error.

When were these purchased from Surety? They may be able to be swapped for the newer model. We can check with Resolution Products on possible replacement. To best assist, please email customerservice@suretyhome.com with the order number if possible, and you can reference this thread.

@Jason thanks, I sent an email including order number of the receipt for the order. I hope we can find some resolution, though it doesn’t help me with trying to determine if I can trust to arm my alarm at all.

I hope we can find some resolution, though it doesn’t help me with trying to determine if I can trust to arm my alarm at all.

Could you elaborate what you mean here? The issue is specific to the RE211 sensor from Resolution products and would be a warranty concern. We’ll need to check with Resolution Products to verify eligibility, but replacement would eliminate this issue with unintended Tampers when low battery alerts are generated.

The concern is that I am at risk of a false tamper triggered alarm anytime the panel is armed, I have no way of knowing when/if this will happen. In my jurisdiction repeated “false alarms” result in a fine and they can revoke your alarm permit, which means I would have a very costly alarm system that I cannot even use.

I agree that if and when we can find a way to replace these with something like the RE122 that the problem should be resolved, but that isn’t going to happen today…and I normally arm my alarm for the bulk of the day.

Understood. This is a known issue with some RE211 sensors. If you see this issue, it will happen any time a low battery is generated by that sensor.

Replacing the battery of the RE211s should resolve the issue until they report low battery again (which should be years for that sensor, but it would probably require replacing all RE211 sensor batteries to be sure).

Another option in the short term would be to alter the sensor group of those sensors to Group 25, Local Safety Sensor, which is a type which can be used to generate ADC notifications, but they would never cause an alarm signal.