Qolsys panel says AC Power, alarm.com says none

I just installed a qolsys ethernet daughter card in my qolsys IQ Panel 4. I’d read the panel can be connected by either ethernet or wifi, it won’t switch between. i.e., adding ethernet capability disables wifi. That’s fine but now that it’s installed I’m seeing some associated issues.

1. the panel says it “needs attention” and shows a red exclamation for the wifi status. Is there a way to get it to stop constantly reporting the lack of wifi as a problem? The ethernet status is good, the panel has an IP and says the internet is available to it.
  2. the panel shows AC power is good, with a green checkmark. But alarm.com and the app say AC Power Failure (SYSTEM) with an orange exclamation. It’s been this way since I installed the card, maybe a half hour ago. Why does the panel think its powered but alarm.com doesn’t?

To verify, was the panel powered off while the daughter card was installed?

Have you powered down the system and rebooted? Settings > Advanced Settings > Power Down. Wait about 5 minutes then boot back up. Do you still see the same power errors being reported?

For the wifi alert, I believe you will need to disable those when an ethernet card is added.

Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > enter installer code > Installation > Installer Settings and disable the Wifi Warnings. This should resolve that issue.

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply! Yes, before installing the card I powered down the panel, waited for the screen and LEDs to turn off, and removed it from the power supply. I did leave the battery connected, but the panel was powered down.

This morning I awoke to a message stating alarm.com hadn’t been able to contact my panel since I installed the ethernet card, and when I went to check on the panel I found it powered off. It wouldn’t power back on, so I think the panel status was wrong about A/C power being OK. Strange because I’d refreshed it multiple times and it always said AC Power was OK.

I removed the panel from the wall to check voltage at the base terminals, but when I did so, the ethernet cable (which does have ample slack) stressed the daughter board and it broke off the panel. It looks like the standoff was only soldered to the main board and it broke off w/ the card. I’m going to see if I can re-attach it mechanically.

I do see 7VDC at the base plate terminals, so I’m not sure why my panel died. I’m going to work on re-attaching the ethernet board and then I’ll try the steps you’ve suggested. Thank you!

I think on one my problems may have been that my panel wasn’t seating fully on the mounting bracket. I got the daughter board standoff reattached to the main board, moved the mounting bracket a little, and everything is working well now. No issues reported after disabling the wifi warning, thanks again for that!

Glad to hear you have it resolved. Let us know if you have any other questions!